6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 2:55 AM by asabban

Initial Policy Wizard

What if the initial policy wizard does not run after a new installation of Web Gateway 7.3 on a Virtual Machine installation?   How can you force that to run.  The Default policy I get in rulesets does not contain very much of anything, and specifically no Authentication section like the Product Guide says it should.

• 1. Re: Initial Policy Wizard

An additional note here is I have tried completely re-imaging the VM and the only wizard I get is the command line wizard to setup the network information and command line login.

• 2. Re: Initial Policy Wizard
            asabban

Hello,

in 7.3 the wizard pops up when you login to the UI for the first time. It only asks for a valid license and triggers a download of the updates (AV, URL Filter, etc.), it does not create a specific policy for you. The initial policy only contains some rule sets such as SSL Scanner, Global White/Block Lists, Common Rules, URL Filter and AntiMalware.

Additional rule sets, such as authentication, can be imported from the Rule Library when you click Add -> Rule Set from Library and pick a rule set that suits from the authentication category.

The initial wizard only starts once, it cannot be forced to show up again.

Best,

Andre

• 3. Re: Initial Policy Wizard

I understand that now, but the manual states that the initial policy wizard will ask questions about your businsess to create a default policy that matches your needs.  I got this wizard when I installed version 7.1, but not when I installed 7.3   Also the manual states that the default policy in any case will have the Authentication ruleset in it, but it will be disabled.   This was not the case.

• 4. Re: Initial Policy Wizard
                asabban

Hello,

the wizard asking for region and business has been removed in 7.3 and was replaced by the nnw wizard which currently only asks for a license, but may be enhanced later. Please note that the guides are version specific. I looked into the 7.3 product guide and it talks about the popup that asks for a license and downloading the updates.

Later in the guide it states that an initial rule set can be created by giving your business specifications, which is no longer the case. I will ask  to have this piece removed. Can you let me know where you found the part that claims that there is an authentication rule set by default?

I will ask to have this corrected as well.

Best,

Andre

• 5. Re: Initial Policy Wizard

Here is an excerpt from the 7.3 manual showing that there should be an authentication rule in the default set...  I figured out how to add it, and am learning more and more as I play with it and see suggestions here on the forum.  Thanks...Gary

73DefaultAuthentication.jpg

• 6. Re: Initial Policy Wizard
                    asabban

Hi Gary,

I talked to the documentation people and it seems that some parts are inconsistent. The 7.3 documentation also states in chapter 8

"Authentication is not implemented by default, but there are preconfigured authentication rule sets,

which you can use."

Sorry for the confusion. This is already being worked on and we will correct the sections as soon as possible. Please note that the documentation has release cycles also, so you will not see the changes show up in the guide immediatly.

I am glad to hear you are learning while playing with the product and reading through the community. That's the way I recommend learning the product ;-)

Best,

Andre