Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3566 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2012 3:04 PM by Peacekeeper RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Cativo Newcomer 19 posts since
Dec 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2012 2:01 PM

Buffer OverFlow issue just cropped up

Hi all,

Two weeks ago I took the Microsoft updates, that are forced every few weeks from Microsoft, and since then I see that a box pops up shortly after boot up.  It pops up with a McAfee Alarm box stating a program is causing a Buffer Overflow.  What is that????  When I click on "more" it shows (IE) as one of the culprits and the other one is something I can't recall at this moment.  I forget what version of McAfee I have, but I bought it last January.  I believe it was Internet Security 2012... 

Anyways, this overflow issue has my system slowing down my boot up to where I don't see my icons on my desktop.  Before I rebooted my McAfee advisor kept telling me that my system could be at rosk and i should run a Full Scan.  Well, now when I try to run the scan it keep turning itself off.  Also, turn off my Safe Search automatically too.  Its weird.  Could this be some virus? 

My laptop is typically off, and I use it and turn it on maybe once every couple weeks.  I take all updates and I have never seen this issue before.  I swear it was after the last Microsoft updates were downloaded.  Right now I just need to be able to boot up to where I can see my icons again. 

Any ideas? 

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,513 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    2. Nov 17, 2012 8:50 AM (in response to Cativo)
    Re: Buffer OverFlow issue just cropped up

Cativo,

I'm sorry your posts were missed but unfortunately we volunteers can't get to everyone.  Is the problem still occurring?   Make sure everything is up to date and that with Windows Update you are using the option to update all components using Microsoft Update.  Also make sure that all your browser(s) are the latest and their add-ons are the latest.   For XP IE should be v.8, which McAfee uses regardless of your default browser settings.

Buffer overflows are hard to pin down but are usually an OS problem rather than software-related.

You might as a precaution run Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both are linked in the last link in my signature.  With the latter make sure you do NOT accept the trial or you'll end up with the Pro version.

If you want to really make sure things are OK run Hijackthis and post its log on one of the forums I suggest lower down in that link.

That all said, apparently an update to McAfee is going out to patch one major buffer overflow detection caused by faulty Microsoft code.  It's like a preemptive strike before Microsoft get around to it I suppose.

That may take a week or two to reach everyone.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,513 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    4. Nov 21, 2012 5:36 PM (in response to Cativo)

Let's hope it's sorted out soon.  Good luck.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • supp@user Newcomer 39 posts since
    Sep 21, 2012
    5. Nov 22, 2012 2:39 PM (in response to Cativo)

Cativo,

Just try disabling the buffer overflow detection in Real Time Scanning Options and reboot.

This should resolve your issue.

Regards.

If you didn’t go looking for it, don’t install it!
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    7. Nov 30, 2012 12:08 PM (in response to Cativo)

I don't think the Buffer Overflow setting in Real-Time Scanning is the setting at fault here. I've had that one selected ever since I got McAfee and never saw a Buffer Overflow message until today. The culprit is most probably the Intrusion Prevention that suddenly appeared in SC 11.6, of which I was ignorant until yesterday. I turned it on and set to High as an experiment. And suddenly I see a Buffer Overflow pop-up. Not then, I think, a coincidence.

If I get any more I'll set the level down from High to Basic and monitor the situation.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    9. Nov 30, 2012 12:22 PM (in response to Cativo)

I recall something was mentioned in one of the conference calls about Intrusion Protection. I thought this was being introduced in 12.1, then (perhaps still) a Beta product, so I didn't pay too much attention to the details. As I recall the code has been ported from the Enterprise version of McAfee, which is a very different beast from the Consumer version. We were asked to watch for this sort of thing, so now I can report back that the experiment has been only partially successful. Looks like Intrusion Protection in Consumer products is generating quite a lot of false positives.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 30/11/12 18:22:16 GMT

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points