1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2012 12:37 PM by Peter M

I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.

Hello,

I do not have McAfee installed — nor have I ever had it installed; however, yesterday, while I was looking through my C drive, I noticed that I now have a McAfee folder on my computer that was not there before.

I have no idea where it could have came from, so I'm hoping that someone can help me to figure this out.

• 1. Re: I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.
          Peter M

Did you install or update any Adobe software (for example Shockwave, Flash or Reader) lately?  That's on example of where if you don't watch out there's an optional extra download of McAfee Security Scan Plus (amongst an array of optional downloads from other makers) which is merely a tool to check for vulnerabilities in your machine and recommend software.

You can uninstall it via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP).

If it isn't that, did you install SiteAdvisor browser add-on?   It's a feature that checks for bad websites and should be listed in your browser add-ons and again in the same spot in Control Panel.

If you want to try the MCPR cleanup tool it removes most consumer products but a reboot ius required at completion.

It's listed under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have updated Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader recently, but I don't think it's from that. I'm very careful in making sure that I untick any boxes for extra downloads, and the only extra download that I've ever seen offered on the Adobe downloader is for Google Chrome and some type of Google Toolbar. There's nothing else to deselect. And nope, I've never installed SiteAdvisor either — nor have I ever installed any browser plug-ins of any kind.

I'm not sure if this will help, but perhaps this might tell you something: I opened up the McAfee folder, and in it, there's a folder called MCLOGS.  Does that tell you anything?

• 3. Re: I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.
              Peter M

That's exactly as it's named the (Mc) Logs, or log files from some scan or other that must have been done at some stage.

If there is nothing listed in your program list to uininstall, did you try running the cleanup tool?   It's supposed to remova all traces of the retail product.

Otherwise you can most likely delete that folder if not in regular probably in Safe Mode.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/11/12 2:19:20 EDT PM
              • 4. Re: I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.

Hi,

It’s a log folder in the location C:\Program Data (hidden folder), it contains all the logs of McAfee and sometimes it cannot be removed if the McAfee removed via Control panel, this folder is no of use if you do not use McAfee on your PC,  so delete the Folder make you give the best choice. Thanks,

• 5. Re: I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.

Thanks.

I finally figured out where it came from. About two moths ago, I downloaded and installed Java, and it came as part of that. I know this because I checked under properties, and the dates and times match exactly between the two programs (i.e., Java and McAfee). I have to admit that I am upset that this was included as part of the Java download without any notification or option to opt out of it. Since there's obviously some sort of partnership between Java and McAfee, can you guys do anything about Java's apparent practice of wrapping their downloads with your products without giving customers any notification or any option to opt out? Their practice causes negative feelings to be had about your products, so you should really try and get them to change the way that they do things. As it is now, their practice isn't doing your company any favors.

So, that being said, what can I (or what should I) do now? There is no entry for any McAfee products in the control panel, nor is there any entry for any McAfee products in Add or Remove Programs. I even checked the uninstall listings generated by Revo Uninstaller (which sometimes shows things that the Windows uninstaller doesn't), and there's nothing there either, for any McAfee product. So my next question is: Should there be? Is there supposed to be an uninstall entry listed for the McAfee product that came with my Java download?

And since there obviously isn't, how should I go about deleting it, then? Can I simply just delete the folder and, perhaps, do a file search for McAfee to see if there's any other related folders elsewhere in my computer? Would that be the best way to go about it? Or do you recommend a different way of going about it? Please advise.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.
                    Peter M

I've seen that packaged or bundled software in Java and Adobe downloads.   There is an option not to include it however, but it's easily missed.  The software is removable through Control Panel and you probably can delete any leftover folders in Safe Mode if they wont go in regular mode.

It's a marketing thing and it does keep the price of software down or even free in many cases.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/11/12 9:40:48 EST PM
                    • 7. Re: I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.

Okay. I normally look very closely for the options to opt out of such things, but I guess I must have missed that one. Oh well.

So back to the issue of removal. In your last comment, you said, "The software is removable through Control Panel and you probably can delete any leftover folders in Safe Mode if they wont go in regular mode."

However, I think you missed what I pointed out in my previous comment: There are no entries for any McAfee products in the control panel. And there are no entries for any McAfee products in Add or Remove Programs. I even checked the uninstall listings generated by Revo Uninstaller (which sometimes shows things that the Windows uninstaller doesn't), and there's nothing there either — for any McAfee product.

So anyway, what now, then? Since there is no option to remove it through the control panel, or anywhere else, should I simply just delete the folder and, perhaps, then do a file search for McAfee to see if there are any other related folders elsewhere in my computer? Would that be okay?

• 8. Re: I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.
                        Peter M

Well you could go the normal way - looking for McAfee folders in Windows Explorer and delete them from there.  Or do the registry method:

The  regedit  procedure can be done offline if you wish.

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit  and click OK.

A  page  should open with the top left hand corner looking something like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-145517-8112/285-187/Regedit.jpg

if for some   reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer   (Computer in Vista/Windows 7/8).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the   registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can   then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting Merge.

Now click   the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click   "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and  delete.

Hit  your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.   It can take a long time if a lot of McAfee components were oroginally installed and the MCPR removal tool (Useful Links at top of this page) didn't work for some reason.

If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and   right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

• 9. Re: I do not have McAfee installed; however, a McAfee folder has recently appeared on my computer.
                          bretzeli

Thats because your boss is using Mcafee LDP (Data Lost prevention) maybe? So he can see what you take home or save to USB you should not ;-)

No: Clarify if this i a PRIVATE or Corporate PC may help?

1 2 Previous Next