1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2013 1:09 PM by mdflowers

mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue

Hi All,

I am unsure on how to enable AD username and password to sync with EPO. i need it to sync so that when the user logs in at boot into the mcafee logon its the exact same as the windows logon screen. i installed encryption on my machine after reboot it asked me for a password (Which as a Default eg password123 ) . How does one setup epo to sync with AD username and password? I would appreciate help as at the moment i am trying to work this.

Thanks In Advance

RMX

Message was edited by: rmx on 10/31/12 9:42:15 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue
          foliveir

Hello rmx,

EEPC does not get the password from AD, however it can (subject to the policy settings that you have configured) capture the Windows password and provide you with single sign on from preboot into windows.

HTH,

Fausto

• 2. Re: mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue

Hi,

I am actually online waiting for a response to this post as its urgent that i get help. At the moment the program is installed but i cannot rollout to other users before testing the functionality fully. We only have EPO because of encryption and hopefully this will change after i demonstrate the greatness of EPO. My scenerio,  I have two users i need to assign the machine two , 1 being the user who will own the machine and the other being a general administrator account(which password wont change) but the user will often change his/her password. Is it possible you could explain to me in detail how to set it up so that the eepc username and password is exactly the same as the windows logon, also if the user changes his/her password what task should i schedule to synchronise in the backgroup?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could help me! every post ive been to im unsure how they came right. From my point rightnow it seems impossible at the moment. But i know Mcafee EPO is the Greatest , so i will get help to fix my issue.

Regards

Rmx

• 3. Re: mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue
              foliveir

Hello rmx,

Please look into https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD23743 pages 57 to 58 contain a description of what needs to be done.

There is no need to setup any task to synchronize the password, that is handled in the client itself without human intervention.

HTH,

Fausto

• 4. Re: mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue

Hi,

Ok i got this working.  On problem i have is when i change the password after 4 hours it take effect. Is there a task i need to schedule in order for the windows password and eepc password to synchronise?

any help would be apperiated!!!

Regards

RMX

• 5. Re: mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue

what do you mean by "takes effect"?  When you change the Windows password on an EEPC protected machine, the EEPC password on that machine is changed immediately.

it may take an ASIC until it gets sent to EPO, and another ASIC to distribute to other machines, but on the one the user changed it on, it will occur right away.

• 6. Re: mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue

Hi Safeboot,

EEPC is entirely new to myself.We have it onsite in POC testing phase as we would like to use it onsite. So i need to do the testing but i am

problems.As per communication above the windows password should sync immediately when i charge it.  I have set EE LDAP Server/Group Synchronisation

to run every 15 mins. This task was running every hour. I noticed that the EEPC login password only changed after 4 hours. As i have scheduled the

EE LDAP Server/Group Synchronisation to run every 15 minutes between business hours, the EEPC login password synced after 45 minutes.

What i have now done is i have setup 3 test user accounts. Called eepctest1, eepctest2 and eepctest3.All passwords was set to password01.

i have only assigned eepctest1 to laptop 1 as an encrypted. I have reset user password for user account after 46 minutes

i reboot the machine.i am then able to login with the new windows password on the eepc logon. This is the reason i have ask if there

is any sheduled task i have to run to sync. in the case i only change the task above to run every 15mins and  now i am able to use the new password to logon

to the EEPC , which then takes me directly into windows.  I have spoken to many Mcafee administators who told me that this is the norm to wait long but i cant

except it being the norm, this being windows password and the eepc password taking 4 hours. The issue i have is that i need to submit documentation with detail

on how the product works and once approved it will then move to our live environment. This i cannot do unless i have done all the testing.

As you are the Expert, i would appreciate the help. As stated if one resets the user password for windows it should immediately update the EEPC password.

how do i go about troubleshooting an issue where it take 45 minutes. If possible could you please provide solutions in detail as i am new to EPO.

Thanks In Advance

RMX

• 7. Re: mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue

Resetting the windows password won't affect the eepc password at all - the two are independent.

Only a ctrl-alt-del change password action on an eepc endpoint, or a failed sso login (where the user has to type the correct password) will cause an sso, and eepc password update.

These happen on the client itself, they are not related to any epo activity (other than forwarding the changes to other machines).

• 8. Re: mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue

Hi safeboot,

Ok, in my scenerio it seems like when I scheduled the task EE LDAP Server/Group Synchronisation to run every 15 minutes it sorted out the problem I had or atleast I think it did.do you think by myself scheduling this task it fixed the problem I had according to you knowledge. As I stated I need to document this as epo eepc is is poc stage( testing) and I need to complete my testing. I will continue to do my testing tommorow and post my result as its working. 

The way epo encrytion is setup at the moment is for SSO to work. So the encrytion password and windows password match aswell as the usernames match. What I needed to understand is why it took so long to sync these details. As mentioned eepc captures these details once your logged on.

Thanks and regards

Rmx

Sent via mobile

• 9. Re: mcafee epo 4.6 encryption username and password sync issue

the task you scheduled had no relevance to the password sync on the client. That only affects how EPO and the clients understand which users to add to which machines.

1 2 Previous Next