4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2012 9:02 AM by Tristan

Maquines With GUID Duplicated

Hi

I ran a report and i noticed that I have some machines with GUID error.

There are two opcions to try to resolve this problem , but I dont have any ideas what these two opcions do:

- Clear agent GUID secuence error count

- Move GUID to duplicated List and delete the system.

Please can someone explain these two opcions ?

ty guys.

El mensaje fue editado por: jhony.trujillo on 31/10/12 10:10:47 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: Maquines With GUID Duplicated
          Tristan

Depends on what's caused the duplication.

Are these virtual machines? Quite often cloned virtual machines will have duplicated GUIDs.

Are these machines that use VPNs? It's possible that a when machine connects via VPN it will register it as a new machine in ePO thus creating a duplicate.

If they're VMs then deleting won't solve it as the machine will be re-created on it's next ASIC

If they're machines on VPNs then deleting the inactive ones

Message was edited by: Tristan on 31/10/12 15:57:04 GMT
          • 2. Re: Maquines With GUID Duplicated

Hi Tristan.

these are not VMs or VPNs. They are just simple Pcs connected to the domain.

• 3. Re: Maquines With GUID Duplicated

Are your machines imaged? If so then you need to either hold off on deploying the Agent or remove the GUID from the registry and it will generate a new one the first time it connects.

• 4. Re: Maquines With GUID Duplicated
                Tristan

To explain our questions....basically a GUID is generated using the MAC address of the primary network adapter on the client computer.

- If a pc is virtualized then sometimes the MACs are the same. You get a duplicate of different host name with the same GUID or even weirder sometimes you get one entery in ePO that flip flops between many client names depending on which client communicated last.

- If a client is on a VPN sometimes the VPN adapters MAC is used. You then get a duplicate of same client name but different GUID

- If a client is cloned from an image all the clones share the same GUID as the master. Many hostnames same GUID.

What you need to work out is what could be causing the machines to register as a new client to ePO. Can you find any correlation as to the circumstances of the pc around the time of the duplication.

Basically what makes these computers different from all the other computers that are reporting normally.