5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 12:07 PM by HerbSmith

repair damaged agents

ikke666

How can i repair a large number of damaged agents?

If i do an deploy on these computers i see an error in the log files on these computers. (but in the server task i see the message it succeeded)

i've found out that epo can't uninstall the old version of the agent.

• 1. Re: repair damaged agents
          mrandolp

Good afternoon, ikke666.  do you have the latest version of the agent checked in to the repository?  If so create a client task to push the new agent out to the nodes.  If you have Windows 2000 workstations, do not push the new agent to them.  They require Agent 4.0.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• 2. Re: repair damaged agents
            ikke666

I'm trying to update 4.5 to 4.6 on xp and win 7 platforms. The checked in version is 4.6. i knew there were problems with win2000 because i've read some articles about it so i've excluded them from the update.

• 3. Re: repair damaged agents
              mrandolp

Good morning ikke666,  ok, here's what I was talking about.  Go to Menu, Policy, Client task Catalog.  Click on McAfee Agent, then Product Deployment.  In the right pane, click on New Task. make sure the New Task Wizard, task type is listed as product deployment. Click ok.  Provide a Task Name, something like Agent 4.6 deployment.  Description, leave it blank or place information in there for the task.  Target platforms, check Windows.  Products and components, Select McAfee Agent for Windows 4.6.0.2292.  Action Install, Language, English, Branch, Current.  Once your task is completed Click Save.  Next, click Assign, select the group you want to assign the task too.  If you have a test group assign it to Test.  Click OK. 

Client Task Builder is now displayed, Task to Schedule, shows Product McAfee Agent, Task type, Product deployment, Task name (you may need to scroll down until you find the name of the task you created).  You can lock task inheritance or leave it as default "unlocked".  Tags, if you have tags assigned you can select the tags and only the tags you selected will receive the new agent upgrade.  Click next, Schedule, Schedule Status, at this point your task is enabled, you can leave it enabled or you can disable it.  Schedule type, select the type of schedule, Daily is default.   Effective period, leave as default.  Start time it will be up to you if you want to set a schedule. Default will set the start time at 12:00 PM, and run once.  You can also set it to run at pre determine time and then repeat. Its up to you.  Task runs according to, leave default.  Options:  Select, Stop the task if it runs for 10 minutes. I would also suggest, Enable randomization, set it for 1 hour.  run missed task, 10 minutes. You can decide if this is long enough or to short of a time.  Click, Next. Review the changes you made.  Click save.  Now you have built a Agent deployment task. 

Hope this helps with your deployment.  Remember, test your task before deploying it out to all nodes.

Thanks Mike,

• 4. Re: repair damaged agents
                ikke666

the problem is that some files of the disinstallation are missing. (probably these are deleted by the person by mistake when they clean up their PC)

on the community site are descriptions to disinstall the agent manually; problem is that i have a lot of computers with this problem.  epo can't install a new version till the old one is removed. (even if you check the force checkbox!!!)

• 5. Re: repair damaged agents

What is needed is a utility to wipe out all trace of the Management Agent installation.   Clean out all files,  All registry settings, and in particular clean out the reg keys MSI uses to determine if the product is already installed.   This has been done for other products,  it should be done for the MA.   Then make it available through a support call.