3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 2:55 PM by Peter M

Why does the software keep asking me to pay over and over

I am wondering if anyone else thinks that McAfee has turned into a big scam. You can't find any information about when the software was actually installed and I keep getting warnings via made-up email addresses at my domain saying that I need to pay again. Tech support just wants to keep me on the phone for hours to resolve this but I am more inclined to dump this product altogether and find a usable solution. Anyone else have this problem? It really is pretty ridiculous. I was able to verify that my actual expiration is not until next April. It is currently October.

• 1. Re: Why does the software keep asking me to pay over and over
          Peter M

What product?  Can you give details of what it is you are trying to install?

Billing enquiries aren't handled by Technical Support in any case.  Call 1-866-622-3911

They will sort it out for you.

It's also possible that you have remnants of old software still that thinks it needs renewing so uninstall everything via Control Panel, run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page

Reboot and reinstall from your online account.

• 2. Re: Why does the software keep asking me to pay over and over

Hi Peter, Thanks for responding. I think I have found a solution. I'm going to wait it out and see if the software will continue to function through the expiration next April. At that point, I am going to uninstall it completely and find another software, maybe one of the ones I've used in the past that never ceased functioning or asked me to pay twice for it. The McAfee (Total Protecion - haha) just quit working for about a month with no notification and I spent hours and hours and hours with McAfee tech support making it work again. I'm not willing to risk this again when it actually does come time to renew, I'm just going to find software that I only have to pay for once and that keeps running. Again, thanks for your response.

• 3. Re: Why does the software keep asking me to pay over and over
              Peter M

OK, well good luck then.