3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 6:39 PM by cgrim

Security configuration assessment?  CIS benchmarks/templates?

Today I was reading the Gartner MarketScope for Vulnerability Assessment.  A few phrases in the McAfee MVM description caught my eye:

What does "Agentless security configuration assessment" mean in this context?

And does the CIS benchmark comment refer just to the Windows CIS benchmark, since it's 'with ePO agents'?  I know McAfee didn't write this paragraph, but I assume Gartner got this info from McAfee.  I'm curious as to if there are features I would love that I'm not aware of, in particular with regards to system configuration assessment.

J.

Gartner link: http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-1BPOY83&ct=120814&st=sb

"McAfee is a subsidiary of Intel, a public firm located in California. McAfee Vulnerability Manager (MVM) is available as a software download, an appliance or a managed service for perimeter scans. McAfee is a large and established vendor, with security research capabilities that support a range of enterprise security products. MVM can be integrated with other McAfee products such as ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO), McAfee Network Access Control, IPS and Nitro SIEM, and the BSA Visibility system acquired from Insightix. MVM also integrates with a large number of third-party security products. In addition to active scanning, MVM provides agentless security configuration assessment. With ePO agents, configuration coverage includes Defense Information System Agency (DISA) Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs), National Security Agency (NSA), Federal Desktop Core Configuration (FDCC) and CIS controls. MVM supports authenticated database scanning and credentialed Web app scanning. Recent updates have improved asset tagging and management and workflow/ticketing capabilities, and added management features for large deployments of remote scan engines. MVM integrates with CyberArk for credentials management, and with Active Directory (AD) and other directory technologies. MVM can assess targets with IPv4 addresses, IPv6 addresses or both. McAfee is a PCI ASV, with PCI scanning delivered via the McAfee Secure product."

• 1. Re: Security configuration assessment?  CIS benchmarks/templates?

Hi jldunn,

There's definitely some mis-information there.  For example we've not offered MVM as a "Managed Service" for a few years now :-)

Their "Agentless" comment seems to be referring to our integration with InsightX (now McAfee Asset Manager (MAM)).  As per another post I just made, McAfee hasn't really released that product for download yet - but should in the next week or so.

Once the product goes live there should be documentation etc. available to download.

I hope that helps!
          Cathy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Security configuration assessment?  CIS benchmarks/templates?

Cathy,

Ah, I see (sort of.)

What is your interpretation of the statement about 'CIS Controls'?

Thanks.

j.

• 3. Re: Security configuration assessment?  CIS benchmarks/templates?

Hi J.

I'm sorry, I'm still not sure what they mean by "CIS Controls".

But I think I've tracked down that blurb from sometime in 2011 - So I don't think they were referring to MAM.  Must have been Policy Auditor.

I don't speak sales, so I really don't know what they mean by some of those *buzz* words.  I don't think you're really missing anything as far as our old features go, but the new MAM stuff is pretty cool.  Docs and .iso's are live on the Download Server with your MVM Grant # :-)

-Cathy