5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 10:25 AM by mark.theeuwes

Flush cache for individual website

mark.theeuwes

We are in the process of evaluating McAfee Web Gateway 7.2.

We have an in house web development team which continually works on our corporate websites. Regularly web developers make little mistakes and when they correct them they can’t see their changes for a long time because our proxy server caches the site contents.  When this happens they request us to flush the cache. My question is if it’s possible with Web Gateway 7.2 to flush the web cache only for a specific site? Maybe this is possible with some CLI commands but I can’t find a CLI reference for Web Gateway. I don’t know if a CLI reference for Web Gateway exists?

Kind regards,

Mark Theeuwes.

• 1. Re: Flush cache for individual website
          asabban

Hello,

there is no option to flush a specific site, only a button which flushes the complete cache. There is no CLI reference. Web Gateway does not have a specific CLI but in allows direct access to the underlying linux operating system, so everything you can do on linux is possible on MWG (which does not mean it is supported). Usually the shell access should only be used if advised by McAfee employees.

Best,

Andre

• 2. Re: Flush cache for individual website
            mark.theeuwes

It's a pity that specific websites can't be flushed. It means we have to flush the whole cache every time to correct a relative small problem. Strange that there is no CLI reference. I found the command mfend-lb –s in the forum for example which does not look like a general Linux command to me? Are these kinds of commands all undocumented in a big product like the Web Gateway??

• 3. Re: Flush cache for individual website
              asabban

Hello,

for the example you showed it may be possible to exclude the corporate web sites from caching. In this case everything else, especially requests to common websites, is still cached as expected, while no caching is applied to the website you know causing trouble on a regular basis.

I know this does not replace the feature, but it may be a different approach. If this feature is strongly desired you can submit your requirements at https://mcafee.acceptondemand.com/ to get in touch with product management.

You are right about the mfend-lb -s command, which is not a general linux command. As I mentioned the shell is available to customers, but generally all changes that are supported for the product are either available within the Web UI or explicitly explained by technical support, KB articles or whitepapers.

The example "mfend-lb" is a command that allows low-level interaction with the McAfee network driver kernel module, which provides HA and transparent modes. It has various options, which are used by support or development for debugging purposes or apply low-level changes to the kernel module. There is usually no need to execute it, unless debug information for support have to be collected.

Best,

Andre

• 4. Re: Flush cache for individual website
                DBO

Why not simply bypass the proxy for your Corporated websites in the proxy.pac file for example?

• 5. Re: Flush cache for individual website
                  mark.theeuwes

Unfortunately excluding the specific sites from caching will be our only option. Because we don’t use transparent mode and we have no direct internet access for the clients it’s not possible to bypass the proxy with a proxy.pac file. I do think it’s a missing feature that the cache can’t be cleared for individual sites.