1 2 3 4 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 3:28 AM by tsmf150 RSS

"The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"

kkathy

"The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll:  The system cannot find the file specified."

My McAfee did an upate and now I'm getting the above error message whenever I open MSIE and whenever I open a new tab page.  How do I resolve this issue correctly?  (Hop;efully I am posting this in the correct discussion)

I have Window Vista Home Premium

MSIE 9

McAfee 11.6

Build 11.6.435

Last updated 10/25/2012

• 1. Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"
          draughtsman

Yes I have the same issue but my OS is Windows 7.  It happened today (27Oct12) when I was bringing my son's PC up to date on a number of updates including BTNetProtect (McAfee), Adobe, Microsoft and Java.  On restart I noticed the McAfee shield icon in the active toolbar had the red wrning on it.  On opening it, it said the Realtime Scanning was off.  I clicked to turn it on and it gave the error pop-up you mention.It rported that tice and then after that when I trioed to turn realtime scanning on it would revert to off a second or so later.  I restarted the PC and logged on as administartor instead. Realtime Scanning stayed on for about 10 mins but then turned istelf off, now it refuises to stay on for morethan a couple of seconds.

Anyone else sufering after today's update?

• 2. Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"
            Ex_Brit

Run the virtual technician and see if it finds and fixes it:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If not I suggest opening a case with Technical Support - it's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Unless you want to go through Uninstalling via Control Panel, running the MCPR cleanup tool, listed also under there, rebooting and reinstalling from your account.

Meanwhile if you have been using any registry cleaners please check if they have a restore button as this could be the result of their actions.

• 3. Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"
              kkathy

Thank you for your reply Peter.  I tried running the virtual technician before posting and I keep getting the message: "McAfee virtual technician installer has stopped working:  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  However, windows does not close the program... I have to press the "close" button to stop the hourglass.  

I tried to do the live chat but that does not work either.   I have not tried the "Phone Technical Support" as yet because I am not sure how long this will take so will wait until I know I can spend extra time at my computer.   I disabled my Malwarebytes Program too, just in case it was blocking or causing the issue, but that didn't change the results. Very frustrating.

• 4. Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"
                Ex_Brit

Before you do try scanning the machine for malware.   See the last link in my signature below.   Try Malwarebytes Free and note that it can be downloaded, updated and run all in "Safe Mode with Networking" if necessary.   (That is reached by rebooting and tapping F8 repeatedly while it boots up and then selecting it on the ensuing menu, usually #2 there).

• 5. Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"
                  kkathy

Hi Peter,

I have Malwarebytes, ran a scan it and it didn't find anything.  I disabled Malwarebytes temporarily and retried the virtual technician/Installer without success.  "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll: The system cannot find the file specified." This message still allows my internet pages to load once I click OK, so it's a nuisance.  ugggg...  I know for sure that it happened after a McAfee update because the problem began immediately after the update and (McShield.dll) that file name was modified/new/changed on the same date as the update. 

I meant to thank you for your replies too.   and also to mention that I have not done any registry cleaning etc....

Message was edited by: kkathy on 10/28/12 2:03:51 PM CDT
                  • 6. Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"
                    Ex_Brit

Oh you're welcome.  I just wish I had some ideas on what to do next.  I think your best approach now would be as I suggested above, opening a case with Technical Support - it's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 7. Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"
                      justenrider

I am having this exact same issue. If this issue has been resolved, please post instructions on what to do.

• 8. Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"
                        Ex_Brit

As I suggested above, open a case with Tech Support.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page or right-click your taskbar icon, Get Help > McAfee Support Website.

• 9. Re: "The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image McShield.dll"
                          kribnbrew

Good day.  I've had both problems described here.  On my XP SP3 machine the real time scanning turned off and would not stay on following the updates applied on 27 Oct.  I received assistance from AT&T tech support (provider of the security suite).  The real time scanning stayed on as long as a scan was running, then switched to off.  I then tried check for updates (even though they are set for auto update) , an update was found and installed (or reinstalled).  After rebooting the real time scanning remains on.  My Windows 7 machine has been getting the language ID message since the McAfee updates on 27 Oct.  Tried the updates solution, but no change.  So, appears it is time to call McAfee tech support and hopefully avoid any additional problems from developing.  

1 2 3 4 Previous Next