4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 7:24 AM by itsec

MWGW 7.3 root login access denied

itsec

Hi,

I have set up a VM 7.3 image for testing however I cannot login via the console or SSH.

On installation I entered a root password of 10 chars inc special chars and set SSH to be allowed.

Whenever I try to login via the console or SSH I get an access denied message. 

I have repeated the installation a couple of times with v7.3 and also v7.2.  In all instances I cannot login.

I have just done another installation and set the password to be  a single character:    1

I could then login via the console.  Didn't bother trying SSH.

I've seen a similar post for v6.xx that advised to try 00000000 or the last 8 characters of the MAC address however this hasn't worked.

Is there a limit to the number of characters for the password?

I can hose the installation as it's only a test however want to know what the issue is here.

Thanks

• 1. Re: MWGW 7.3 root login access denied
          asabban

Hello,

please note that when installing MWG does not use a local keyboard layout, but the US keyboard layout. This can be confusing if you enter something during installation and try to login from remove or console later. Maybe you can try a password with characters and numbers only to make it easier.

Basically if you entered a password during installation this will be the valid password, you will no longer be able to access with 00000000 or the MAC address.

Best,

Andre

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MWGW 7.3 root login access denied
            itsec

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your speedy response.  I am using a UK kbd however the chars for the pasword would be the same in US layout.

I have installed another test VM and initially set the password as one char.

Then, once I verified that I could login via the console, I logged in via SSH and changed the password for root, logged out and back in to verify.

Interestingly I used the same password that had been failing before but it's working now.

• 3. Re: MWGW 7.3 root login access denied
              asabban

Hello,

you could try to enter the root password you would like to choose into one of the "readable" fields, such as hostname or similar to see if you are typing the same thing. I don´t assume you cannot type, I have done this wrong myself in the past ;-)

If you can replicate the issue I think you should create a service request with support and let them check whether this is a bug.

Best,

Andre

• 4. Re: MWGW 7.3 root login access denied
                itsec

I had tried all of that too :-)

If I have time I will create another VM and enter the pwd I want and see if it still is not accepted.

Thanks