5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 6:50 PM by Peter M

Issue with McAfee and DNS errors (mcscan32 error 7)

Hello all,

There is something that made me lost a LOT of time because of McAfee ...

I had a strange behavior where McAfee active protection started and then stopped ... after say, one minute after startup.

Then DNS was not working (nslookup failling)

I suspected then a Virus that was stopping McAfee, and screwing up the DNS resolver...

I have used Kasperky tools to fond something : no virus was found.

I was really stressed, I also have the illusion the mouse pointer moving alone (that someone took over my PC)

Then after some hours, I went to the event viewer, but APPLICATION logs (not systems) and found this

MCSCAN32 Engine Initialisation failed. Engine returned error : 7

After some searches I decided to remove McAfee, ad then DNS went back,.. !!

I reinstalled Mcafee, and then all went fine...

But I did not dare to uninstall McAfee... because without any antivirus , this is like running naked in the street...

Nevertheless I'm really pested off to have lost time because of this ... why a not meaningfull message in the right place ?

Thanks

on 22/10/12 6:30:28 EDT PM
        • 1. Re: Issue with McAfee and DNS errors (mcscan32 error 7)
          Peter M

Sorry to take so long to answer but this sounds a bit like an infection.   So I moved it to that section.

Try downloading Stinger linked in the last clickable link in my signature below.

Also, in "Safe Mode with Networking" preferably (to avoid the software being altered by any infection) try downloading, updating and running a full scan with Malwarebytes Free, also linked there.  (Don't opt for the trial otherwise you wont get the free version).

MBAM is unique in that it will do all that in that mode, assuming your machine allows an Internet connection in that mode of course.    If not do it in regular mode but "Save as" the .exe to your desktop renaming it in the process to mask it from malware.

The last thought is that this could also result from the use of registry cleaners and optimizers, so if that;s the case, see if there is a restore button.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/10/12 5:26:29 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Issue with McAfee and DNS errors (mcscan32 error 7)

I tried all these tools in normal and sage mode, but they found nothing at all.

So I think that macAfee was corrupted for some reason, that the firewall was up sidedown and messing up the DNS.

The mouse move, it was a very short distance, so I think I simply dreamt... 

Anyway I watch this machine...

• 3. Re: Issue with McAfee and DNS errors (mcscan32 error 7)
              Peter M

Who knows why that happened however registry cleaners oftn can be the cause.

In those cases it is best to completely uninstall via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool (see Useful Links at the top of this page)

Reboot and reinstall from your online account.

• 4. Re: Issue with McAfee and DNS errors (mcscan32 error 7)

>Who knows why that happened however registry cleaners oftn can be the cause.

I did nothing ... I do not have any registry cleaner.

>In those cases it is best to completely uninstall via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool (see Useful Links at the top of this page)

>Reboot and reinstall from your online account.

This is what I did, I suspect a bug in McAfee software...

I keep searching.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Issue with McAfee and DNS errors (mcscan32 error 7)
                  Peter M

Then open a case with Technical Support, escalate it if necessary.  Linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  It's free of charge.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/10/12 7:50:05 EDT PM