3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 10:05 AM by Regis

MEG7 clustering doubts

satbir

Hi All,

I want to configure MEG7 in cluster master/failover configuration. It will be one arm gateway only. That means i have to configure one physical IP & one virtual IP on each appliance. I have only one IP left in my test network "A"and i want to test the solution before i put it in production. This brings me to points:

Can the physical IP on each appliance be of seperate subnet?

Can we configure virtual IP of seperate subnet from physical IP?

Please suggest!

Regards,
      Satbir

• 1. Re: MEG7 clustering doubts
          georgec

I`m running 2 MEG 7`s in production, but I use them as stand alone. You can have LB/HA from DNS and use epo to centrally manage them both withough the hassle of a cluster.

• 2. Re: MEG7 clustering doubts
            satbir

Actually my management wants to test out MEG clustering feature. I want to know is it a mandate to have all appliancse in cluster within the same subnet including physical and virtual IP (considering one arm email gateway only)?

it mandatory to have both appliances of same Model?

• 3. Re: MEG7 clustering doubts
              Regis

satbir wrote:

Hi All,

I want to configure MEG7 in cluster master/failover configuration. It will be one arm gateway only. That means i have to configure one physical IP & one virtual IP on each appliance. I have only one IP left in my test network "A"and i want to test the solution before i put it in production. This brings me to points:

Can the physical IP on each appliance be of seperate subnet?

Can we configure virtual IP of seperate subnet from physical IP?

Please suggest!

Regards,
              Satbir

It's entirely possible it won't work at all if you aren't on the same broadcast domain.    The chatting I've seen on the local network between the two devices negotiating the virtual IP is such that I don't think it'll work at all if your boxes aren't on the same broadcast domain.

Clustering has been no panacea in my experience.   Even following all the things you're supposed to do, we're struggling.