5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 1:00 PM by Nielsb RSS

VSE 8.8i Support for upcoming Windows 8 - Oct 26th?

twenden

Microsoft is supposed to be releasing Windows 8 on Oct 26th. Does anyone know when McAfee is going to release VSE 8.8i Patch 3 which is supposed to support Windows 8? Being a university, we are going to have students who will be asking for a VSE 8.8i package that supports their new systems with Windows 8.

It seems to me that McAfee is rather slow is providing a solution for upcoming operating systems. There are some vendors like AVG who have already released Windows 8 supported versions.

• 1. Re: VSE 8.8i Support for upcoming Windows 8 - Oct 26th?
          PhilR

VSE 8.8 Patch 2 will install and run on Windows 8 / Server 2012

By the way, the current builds are:

ePO server 4.6.4 (build 202)

McAfee Agent Patch 2 (4.6.0.2935)

Virusscan Enterprise 8.8i Patch 2

It might be worth getting your infrastructure up to date in readiness for your first Windows 8 boxes.

• 2. Re: VSE 8.8i Support for upcoming Windows 8 - Oct 26th?
            twenden

PhilR,  Thanks for the update. I have been testing VSE 8.8 Patch 2 and did see that it will install on MS Windows 8 Enterprise Trial with no issue. However, during the install Microsoft warns that it has "Compatibility Issues". McAfee seems to mention that there will be Patch 3 which is supposed to fully support Windows 8. Patch 2 release mentions that it only support the Consumer Release of Windows 8.   Do you know when they might release Patch 3? I really hate releasing software that it partially supported.  Next week, I plan on testing ePO 4.6 Patch 4. Have been waiting a few weeks to see if there any problems being reported on the forums before we start testing.   I am aware of the new ePO agent 4.6 Patch 2 but have ben holding back installing. We had an issue, in our test environment, where XP systems would not respond to agent wake-up calls after upgrading to this new agent. Talked to McAfee and was told that we needed to add a firewall exception on these clients to allow port 8081. This does not happen with Windows 7 system. Previous agents work find with just having "frameworkservice.exe" in the firewall, could not get any McAfee help in resolving this issue.   We may have to just deploy this agent to Windows 7 and above systems.

• 3. Re: VSE 8.8i Support for upcoming Windows 8 - Oct 26th?
              PhilR

I wouldn't have thought of putting 'frameworkservice.exe' as a firewall exception, would always have specified the port.  That's just the way I do things, coming from a non-windows firewall background.

Can't you roll out that firewall rule via Group Policy to all boxes?

We haven't seen any problems on our Windows 8 boxes so far with VSE 8.8 Patch 2.

Cheers,

Phil

• 4. Re: VSE 8.8i Support for upcoming Windows 8 - Oct 26th?
                tonyb99

We have had no issues on our windows 8 enterprise tester with epo 4.6 MA patch 1 or 2 and VSE 8.8 patch 2, admittedly not firewalling it

• 5. Re: VSE 8.8i Support for upcoming Windows 8 - Oct 26th?
                  Nielsb

I run VSS 8.8 path 2 on my Windows 8 system (CP build) without any issues, same for my colleague on Windows 8 RTM and VSE 8.8 patch 2