5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2012 7:25 AM by exbrit

had to reset computer--now can't find mcafee info

I had to do a reset on my Dell computer. Now mMcAfee is gone. It is still listed on program list, but will not open. It is listed on control panel programs, too. It is in the bottom right bar area, but won't open from there, either. The subscription has not expired, and since the computer has been reset, all the information I have about it is gone.What to do??? Thanks!

• 1. Re: had to reset computer--now can't find mcafee info
          exbrit

It shouldn't be a problem.  The reset probably corrupted the software somehow.

Go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove a Programs in XP) and uninstall McAfee.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page or HERE.

Reboot and re-download from your online account.  Everyone has an online account who has ever activated any McAfee software and from there you can always receive the latest version of your software nif needed.

You account page should be here:  https://home.mcafee.com/secure/protected/login.aspx?

• 2. Re: had to reset computer--now can't find mcafee info

This is a reply to ex_brit from kittyallen--

Thank you for your quick reply to my dilemma! All the way from England, too.

I tried to remove McAfee through control panel, etc., but it said I have an active subscription. I cannot find any information about my subscription. I am afraid to click the option to remove anyway because of this. I keep getting messages that my subscription expired on 9/25, when we were away. It also keeps telling me that my computer is in danger, but when I click on options, such as the blue set up button, nothing happens.

I guess I need to know my subscription information before proceeding, but I couldn't even get on to this site with my old log in info. I had to re-register. I am pretty sure I have about a year left on a two year subscription.

Should I just chuck the whole thing and start over?

Thanks lots--

Kitty Allen

• 3. Re: had to reset computer--now can't find mcafee info
              exbrit

English living in Canada for many years because of my old job, retired now....dual nationality actually.

I couldn't find another user id for you here I'm afraid and I have no access to customer accounts at McAfee.com other than my own of course.

If the 'forgot' links don't work here:  https://home.mcafee.com/secure/protected/login.aspx?rfhs=1

Then give Customer Service a call, it's toll-free, and they will sort out the account business.

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call us at 866-622-3911.

Average contact length: 10  minutes

Estimated wait time: 5-10 minutes

Hours of Operation: Available daily, 6am-6pm Pacific

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/10/12 8:27:25 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: had to reset computer--now can't find mcafee info

Gosh!! Thank you so very much.. I called them and did not have to wait. The problem was that when I had to do the reset on the computer, it wouldn't accept my McAfee account because it was one for just one computer--McAfee thought I was using another computer. They walked me through a procedure to fix it up. Very nice people, and they even extended my contract by one month.

Thanks again for your expertise!

Kitty Allen

• 5. Re: had to reset computer--now can't find mcafee info
                  exbrit

That's great, glad it's sorted out.  ;-)