3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 10:18 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

McAfee update won't install as threats found!

lannimum

Hi

My son's free trial of McAfee expired and I am trying to download my third user licence to his PC (his free trial and my 3user are on the same account) however when downloading McAfee checks to clean pc for troublefree installation however it is finding threats and I can't go any further.  I had this problem initially when downloading the free subscription however after I installed Stinger and try downloading again it worked fine.  I have tried scanning through Stinger again but the problem persits.  I cannot get live chat through the McAfee website and am becoming frustrated.  Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: McAfee update won't install as threats found!
          Ex_Brit

Any name for the threat?  Was it an actual malware threat or simply installed software that McAfee installer doesn't like such as Malwarebytes for instance?  If the latter you can choose to skip that 'threat'.

If not already installed try installing Malwarebytes Free anyway.  It's linked in the last clickable link in my signature below.  Update it and run a full scan.  Make sure you don't sign on for the free trial as that will activate the full version rather than the free one.

• 2. Re: McAfee update won't install as threats found!
            lannimum

It doesn't say what the threat is only that McAfee has problem cleaning threats on my PC and advising my to fix them to continue.  In the link 'how do I fix these issues?' it asks me to call or live chat with McAfee but the live chat isn't connecting!  Re the type of threat I don't know as i'm pretty much a beginner at the technical stuff but I do know there is no option to skip.  I'll try installing Malwarebytes Free as you suggest and hope for the best.  Many thanks meantime. 

• 3. Re: McAfee update won't install as threats found!
              Ex_Brit

MBAM should be able to remove anything untoward...let's hope so anyway.