5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2012 5:04 AM by prajoshgeorge

Unable to open a site - WG 6.9.3

prajoshgeorge

Dear all,

I am using WebGateway 6.9.3, I am trying to access the below site www.wataniya.com. It belongs to the local mobile telecom company. When I try to open the site through the Web gateway proxy, i get the below message

"Unable to connect www.wataniya.com (217.69.182.68). This is most likely because the URL has been mis-typed or the server is down and no longer taking requests."

I have no problem in connecting to the site from another proxy and the site loads without any problem. This problem started happening recently. Any advice would be appreciated in resolving the issue. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Unable to open a site - WG 6.9.3
          asabban

Hello,

I have tried to access the website through my lab MWG 6.9.3 and I was able to connect to the web site as expected. Probably it is a problem with the configuration or with something in the network. Since the error message usually means that MWG had a problem when talking to the web server, this can have various reasons.

I recommend to create a tcpdump and submit it to technical support along with a feedback to have the exact reason analysed. If you created a tcpdump you can also upload it to our FTP server and send the filename, I could have a quick look at what is going on then. However tech support should be involved.

Best,

Andre

• 2. Re: Unable to open a site - WG 6.9.3
            mcafee-com-user

Hi,

we also use MWG 6.9.3 and are located in Germany.

We are able to access www.wataniya.com without any problem too.

• 3. Re: Unable to open a site - WG 6.9.3
              prajoshgeorge

Which sections of MWG can I check to identify the problem. The problem started only 2 months ago. I will do a tcpdump but just needed to check other areas prior.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Unable to open a site - WG 6.9.3
                asabban

Hello,

the "unable to connect" message sounds more like a connectivity issue than a problem with the Webgateway filters. I personally would start with a tcpdump. In case you want to make sure it´s not the product and/or any of its filters, you can try to create an ICAP Bypass, which means we remove all the filters that are applied.

NOTE: This should ONLY be for testing, unless we find out a good reason why the web site needs a bypass.

Go to Proxies-> HTTP Proxy ->Icap Services and add *.wataniya.com to the Bypass ICAP Server list.

Then try again. If the site works with the entry, remove it again and try to skip filters using the whitelist. If it still fails there is nothing MWG filters, so it should be related to the network. Create a tcpdump in this case to move forward.

Best,

Andre

• 5. Re: Unable to open a site - WG 6.9.3
                  prajoshgeorge

Issue was not with the Web Gateway, it was with the router. Thanks for the help.