Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
1463 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 12:57 PM by JoeBidgood RSS 1 2 Previous Next
awbattelle Apprentice 65 posts since
Jan 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2012 3:13 PM

Tag creation for specific software.

I need to apply a setting for PCs that are PCs (This tag exists) and do not have a specific piece of software installed.

So I need a tag that's going to tell me if this certain piece of 3rd party software is installed so I can exclude it. How can I create this tag? Do I need to populate the McAfee database with this data from another source and then create a query and thus a tag for it? Or is there an easier way?

Message was edited by: awbattelle on 10/17/12 3:13:37 PM CDT
  • rackroyd McAfee Mentor 953 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010
    1. Oct 18, 2012 3:46 AM (in response to awbattelle)
    Re: Tag creation for specific software.

You would need to be able to determine through ePO that this 3rd-party software was installed first - and that will be your main problem since ePO is designed to manage McAfee software, not 3rd-party.

If you have a Platinum account with McAfee you will have access to the SIR (System Information Reporter) product which may suit your purpose - speak to your account manager about that if you appropriate.

Otherwise you're probably not going to be able to do this - sorry.

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,877 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    2. Oct 18, 2012 10:02 AM (in response to rackroyd)

One other possibility would be to use a third-party mechanism - could be logon scripts, or something like that - to insert a value in the custom props registry fields. These would then be reported back to ePO and you could tag based on them.

It can't be done directly inside ePO, though, as Rob mentions.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

Sep 11, 2009
    4. Oct 18, 2012 10:27 AM (in response to awbattelle)

Yes, exactly - there are four customprops fields available, and anything that is inserted into these reg values will be passed back to ePO. (It has to be a string as far as I know, so a hex value will be treated as  a string, for example.)

It should then appear in the respective field in the machine's properties, and you should be able to query and tag on it.

Does this help?

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

Sep 11, 2009
    6. Oct 18, 2012 10:46 AM (in response to awbattelle)

Sure. Create the following key if it doesn't already exist:

For 32 bit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent\CustomProps

For 64-bit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent\CustomProps

Then create up to four string values - CustomProps1, CustomProps2, and so on. The data you place in these values will be passed back to ePO as a property.

Let us know how you get on

HTH -

Joe

Sep 11, 2009
    8. Oct 18, 2012 1:49 PM (in response to awbattelle)

Excellent, glad it works

Regards -

Joe "You're perfectly safe unless your name is Frank or Dave" Bidgood

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points