7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 10:22 AM by allamiro

uninstall HIPS 7.0.1

Hi,
      I'm in the process of testing EPO4 & HIPS 7.0.1 on a few machines. I tried to manually-uninstall the HIPS client from the machine and it throws up an error stating that it's not possible to remove HIPS as it's in self-protect mode . anyone seen this before?

I've disabled the service protection settings in the virus scan (disabled access protection options to allow the services to be stopped), but everytime I try to remove HIPS using add/remove programs I get this self-protect mode error.

Client machine is running; VSCAN 8.5i, Anti-Spyware 8.5 enterprise, SiteAdvisor 1.5 & HIPS 7.0.1, CMA 3.6.0.574

The only way I could get this sorted in a brutal way was to un-install every mcafee app, and hack every instance of mcaffee out of the registy (not a preferred way to be honest)

T.I.A
      PDC
        • 1. RE: uninstall HIPS 7.0.1
          That's normal behavior. You'll need to disable the IPS module before you attempt a manual uninstall.
          Disabling the IPS module will disable the self-protect feature in HIP.
          • 2. RE: uninstall HIPS 7.0.1
            I assume that's from the EPO policy settings for the group the host is in.. having a few issues with getting the agent to propely update against the EPO server.. it's picking up old update tasks, when updating against the epo, which I'd deleted some time ago... bigger problems to fix me thinks
            • 3. RE: uninstall HIPS 7.0.1
              Have you updated your CMA agent?

There is a problem in the CMA agent that causes it to corrupt the policies it gets from the ePO server.
              https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&exte rnalId=614328

CMA 3.6.0 patch 3 is a critical update that should be installed before you waste anymore time troubleshooting.
              • 4. RE: uninstall HIPS 7.0.1
                Hi Raja,
                thanks for the prompt feedback, much appreciated.

I'm currently utilising EPOV4.. on the hosts I'm having the problem with.
                I'll have a look and see if there's any patches out there for EPO4 .. fingers crossed!
                • 5. RE: uninstall HIPS 7.0.1
                  Have you opened a support case for this issue? If you haven't, I highly suggest you do so.

Patch 1 for ePO 4.0 wil be in phase II in a couple of weeks.
                  • 6. RE: uninstall HIPS 7.0.1
                    thanks for all the help on this, I went down the road of manually un-installing all the McAfee components, making a point of following this article to the letter [Document ID: 614226 ].null This appears to have fixed the HIPS issues

It took a few reboots to allow me to delete some of the registry keys and dll's that were loaded. (it also blue screened on me once when rebooting due to the unloading of the DLLs before shutdown).. once all was removed from the client system I ran an agent install only (ensuring I was on 3.6.0.574).. once that was done I ran the update tasks necessary to get the relevant apps installed.

PDC
                    Server - EPO4.0 running on Win2003 SP2
                    DAT: 5230.0000
                    Engine: 5200.2160
                    • 7. Re: RE: uninstall HIPS 7.0.1

pdc_irl wrote:

thanks for all the help on this, I went down the road of manually un-installing all the McAfee components, making a point of following this article to the letter [Document ID: 614226 ].null This appears to have fixed the HIPS issues

It took a few reboots to allow me to delete some of the registry keys and dll's that were loaded. (it also blue screened on me once when rebooting due to the unloading of the DLLs before shutdown).. once all was removed from the client system I ran an agent install only (ensuring I was on 3.6.0.574).. once that was done I ran the update tasks necessary to get the relevant apps installed.

PDC
                      Server - EPO4.0 running on Win2003 SP2
                      DAT: 5230.0000
                      Engine: 5200.2160

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51699