0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 10:50 PM by mrwh1t3

Common Protection Prevent - Programs Registering to Autorun

All,

I have a quick question. Currenlty we had this set to block programs from registering to autorun, which makes sense, unless they are "approved" to do so.

The issue is that we have a BGInfo.bat file that's a logon script to pull BGInfo when clients authenticate to our terminal serviers. The BGInfo pulls down the background, gets info like IP, etc.

In either case, the .bat file resides in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\BGInfo.bat. When users are logging into the terminla server it's causing errors because cmd.exe isn't registered in the exemption list for applications that can register autorun. I see issues with this as a blanket allow exclusion, and as far as I know you can't lock it down to cmd.exe only can allow BGInfo.exe to register. When attempted to edit the BGInfo.bat file with notepad it errors out because notepad isn't registered. Likewise, explorer.exe is blocked when trying to execute it via the desktop because it's not exempt.

Have any of you ran into this? Can you suggest any workarounds? We are running VSE 8.8

Thanks