3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 2:42 AM by reduakari

Help! Why can I no longer boot after running Dell PC Diagnostics?

Greetings experts!

My first post, woohoo!

So, I have a problem and need a hero.

While troubleshooting a sound driver problem on my Dell Latitude 6410, I decided impulsively to try the Dell PC Diagnotics. There are three options - Full, Component, and Symptom - and I chose Full. When the disk testing section came up, my Windows 7 (64-bit) crashed relatively quickly with -

Status: 0xc000000f Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I'm running McAfee EndPoint so I believe this is source of the problem. Before I go hunt them down, will the EndPoint Server administrator be able to provide me a boot disk and database file to proceed?

A second question around adjacent partitions (i.e. personal media or backup space)  that were on the same physical drive. I removed the drive and used an EZ-Connect SATA to USB interface to mount it to another machine. These partitions were not visible either. I had only expected the C: mount to be encrypted, so was that nieve by default or just SOP everywhere?

Any advice/procedures are appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

• 1. Re: Help! Why can I no longer boot after running Dell PC Diagnostics?

Your admin could have chosen to encrypt some, or all drives - without knowing what version of EEPC you're using though it's hard to tell.

As for Dell Diagnostics, you don't say whether the problem is apparent only while trying to run that app, or if this is now a permanent state?

What's the situation when you boot the machine now?

• 2. Re: Help! Why can I no longer boot after running Dell PC Diagnostics?

Hello @SafeBoot

I'm at release 6.1 to my recollection. The error message at boot now is as follows -

Windows failed to restart. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".

3. Click "Repair your computer"

If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I have the installation CD but I'm stuck in this loop, as in the Boot Manager cannot read the drive.

• 3. Re: Help! Why can I no longer boot after running Dell PC Diagnostics?
              reduakari

Hi,

What i do is decrpt 1st repair and endcrpt back btw it is hell alot of time wasted.

I usually do that especially boot record got problem with it.

Do take an effort to check all the OS & hardware running fine after decrypt and backup the files. sometime it is hard disk faulty then need to replace it.