1 2 3 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2012 4:20 AM by Peacekeeper

License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe

Tech support would not remove a completely unknown computer from my "online Account" list of PCs.

Or I should say they wanted me to remove and reinstall Mcafee MTP from my 4 known computers and then reinstall, so that I could be reissued a new account.

I logged in to my online account and found that a computer that I do not own had taken over one of my licenses, it had shifted another of my computers to an internet security suite license that is about to expire. Tech support suggested that I had shared my account information, that is an insult to me as a customer.

I changed login/account email and password, and deactivated the unknown computer. The unknown computer is still listed and the ip address shifts everyfew minutes to a different location around the planet earth.

The real issue here is that the password security of My  Account Online site is weaker than the requirements of this blog community. Does that seem right. The password for the Online Account cannot use special characters, what?!.

My Account was hacked on McAfee site and one of my licenses hijacked. I caught this when I logged on to deactivate a PC that lost its harddrive. I have screen shots of the listing showing the unknown computer, and apparently it will sit as deactivated for all time. The download and hijack of the license happened only 3 days ago, according to tech support. There are holes in the system I really wish I wasnt past the 30 day for a refund!

• 1. Re: License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe
          exbrit

It's a known issue and is in fact not what it seems.  The person who appears to be using your account is in fact using their own but due to an internal coding glitch in the software the accounts appear to be compromised.   The fix is in MSC v11.6.435.3 which is slowly being released in the coming week.   The stranger cannot in fact see your account details or have any access to it.

If you speak to support again give them this code: 

RR 917 -  addresses an issue where in certain configurations, different machines can generate the same Hardware ID, which in turn means that in some circumstances users can see machines they don’t own in My Account.

I have exactly the same issue in my own account and this is how I found out that they were working on a fix.   The information on the fix may not have filtered down to all levels of support yet.

• 2. Re: License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe

That sounds plausable, but doesn't explain how  my netbook that I deactivated from Internet Sec Suite and Activated on the MTP license was placed back on the ISS license and the 'glitch' took the netbooks place. Guess I would have found out when the netbooks trial expired and I was left unprotected. Again shame this showed up more than 30 days after purchase. This business is an illusion of trust, and the competition is no different, but they have not lost mine.

• 3. Re: License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe
              exbrit

I'm sure that was a glitch with the account software.   If you ever find something has somehow attached to your wrong account you can change that too using the subscription repair tool:  HERE

That can be found in the Technical Support FAQ's.

Sorry support acted so dumb, must have been a new person.   Sorry to lose you too, but of course it's your choice.

• 4. Re: License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe
                Peacekeeper

When it changed the laptop to a IS licence the actual program stayed as a Total protection correct? Maybe when the fix comes this will all sort out if not use teh repair tool as Peter suggested.

• 5. Re: License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe
                  exbrit

FYI I just finally exorcised the ururper in my account by uninstalling all machines on that account and then reinstalling, changing my download country to Canada first as those are the first servers to get the updated version.  (Normally I had simply let them default to the US).  However as I said earlier, the update will come in the normal way in a week or so.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/10/12 9:30:27 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe

I have had this problem also, the telephone help did not explain the problem. After re-installing Total Protection on my PC it comes up as licence expiring, but in my account it is reactivated, so far no help to resolve from McAfee.

due to an internal coding glitch in the software the accounts appear to be compromised

This is worrying from a company that is supossed to be protecting us!

• 7. Re: License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe
                      exbrit

They only appear to be compromised because the sofware used at the accounts end has a glitch reading computer ID's with the current 11.6.434 MSC but noone has access to your account.

When your software upgrades to 11.6.435 on all machines on your account, the problem will disappear.

• 8. Re: License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe

I have had the same problem where a global user is listed and actively using my McAfee 3-user total protection license. I have only found out about it when my license was due to expire and had to logon to my online account to renew it. I have then deactivated the user who was disguising his IP as from France at first by the name of PC-DE-TRISTAN and now as EDSUGAR-PC in Bristol, UK but when used IP Trace Route using http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/visual-tracert/ , I found out that this person is in California, USA.

prn_screen1.jpg

McAfee Customer Service and Technical Service did not explain to me how this user got access to my account and told me a technical supervisor will contact me.

prn_screen4.jpg

I have quickly changed all my passwords and done further checks to my computer and router and found out that I have been recieving the following xmas port scan attacks which all points to the same host in California, USA.

Nov 8 02:06:42 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.235.155.68) detected.
                        Nov 8 02:06:40 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.235.155.68) detected.
                        Nov 8 02:06:37 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.235.155.68) detected.
                        Nov 8 02:06:36 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.235.155.68) detected.
                        Nov 8 02:06:35 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.235.155.68) detected.
                        Nov 8 02:06:34 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.235.155.68) detected.
                        Nov 8 02:06:33 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.235.155.68) detected.
                        Nov 8 02:06:33 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.235.155.68) detected.
                        Nov 8 02:06:32 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.235.155.68) detected.
                        Nov 5 13:11:53 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.66.242.110) detected.
                        Nov 5 13:11:06 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.66.242.110) detected.
                        Nov 5 13:10:43 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.66.242.110) detected.
                        Nov 5 14:00:27 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.66.253.177) detected.
                        Nov 5 13:59:55 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.66.253.177) detected.
                        Nov 6 00:57:31 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.61.254.248) detected.
                        Nov 6 00:22:38 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.67.93.177) detected.
                        Nov 6 00:22:36 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.67.93.177) detected.
                        Nov 6 00:22:06 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.67.93.177) detected.
                        Nov 6 00:22:05 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.67.93.177) detected.
                        Nov 5 20:25:14 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.151.182.197) detected.
                        Nov 5 20:23:38 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.151.182.197) detected.
                        Nov 5 20:22:50 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.151.182.197) detected.
                        Nov 5 20:22:26 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:66.151.182.197) detected.
                        Nov 6 01:52:08 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.61.254.249) detected.
                        Nov 6 01:51:28 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.61.254.249) detected.
                        Nov 6 01:51:08 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.61.254.249) detected.
                        Nov 6 00:58:00 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.61.254.248) detected.
                        Nov 6 00:58:00 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.61.254.248) detected.
                        Nov 6 00:57:31 ,Xmas port scan attack from WAN (ip:23.61.254.248) detected.

These are targetted port scans since they are not any random xmas port scan from random source.

prn_screen3.jpg

I have been using McAfee antivirus for protection since 2006 and was relying on it for my computers and network. I was always updating my protection and renewed everytime. However this issue made me realise that the reliability of Anti-Virus and Firewall softwares are always questionable.

• 9. Re: License Hijacked by unknown computer, ip changing around globe
                          exbrit

I tried to explain earlier.  Customer Service don't see the same as you because they aren't signed into your computer.  Those phantom people on your account do NOT have access to you account and are not taking licenses away from you.  They have similar MAC addresses to your computer so when you go to your account it pulls up all of them instead of just you.    It's a fault in the version of software on your computer and how it iterracts with the account, and will iron itself out when it upgrades, which hopefully will be soon.

The version of SecurityCenter that deals with this is MSC 11.6.435.3  (or higher).

1 2 3 Previous Next