5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2012 5:02 PM by Peacekeeper Branched from an earlier discussion.

Unwanted desk top icon and Start menu entry

Hi All

I've been scouring the communities here for a fix on this very annoying problem.

Let's be clear - there are important technical issues (ie. viruses slipping through security), and there are important user ENGAGEMENT issues (ie. USER EXPERIENCE).

Almost every piece of shareware software written by virtual amateurs asks whether I want a start menu group folder or desktop shortcut before installation, so it can't be difficult for a global and technical powerhouse like McAfee to provide a checkbox in the preferences to enable users to choose whether they want a start menu or desktop link for every automatic update that McAfee provides.

It's incredibly frustrating that whenever I spend time housekeeping on my menus and desktop - only to have it ruined by the bullish approach of McAfee. It's like someone intentionally turning on the sprinklers just after you finish washing your car. It may seem like a small issue, but it's incredibly emotive because its just so inconsiderate.

Please fix this problem.

Thank you.

(Just to prove my point - I will now add this view to every thread relating to this issue... to put the shoe on the other foot.)

Message was edited by: Hayton - changed subject header -  on 05/10/12 18:05:42 IST
        • 1. Re: Unwanted desk top icon and Start menu entry
          Hayton

gidz wrote:

I will now add this view to every thread relating to this issue

Your post has been given its own thread. The other four identical posts have been deleted.

• 2. Re: Unwanted desk top icon and Start menu entry
            Peacekeeper

As far as we know this issue was fixed months ago. Can you post your Mcafee security centre and viruscan versions/builds.

It does not happen on my two 11.6 and 12.0 installs. but I will recheck this later on to confirm it did not reappear.

Is this a replace a deleted icon?

or you move it and it moves back to a spot

or you move it to a folder and another version turns up on the desktop.

on 7/10/12 7:58:15 AM
            • 3. Re: Unwanted desk top icon and Start menu entry
              Peacekeeper

Ok checked the two PC's with the consumer version installed

1 running version 12.0.637 no issue

2. Running 11.0.679 no issue

Mine running 12.1.194 beta no issue

• 4. Re: Unwanted desk top icon and Start menu entry

Hi Tony

Thanks for your prompt response.

Problem: Everytime McAfee updates some component (whether virus data file or software updates) a new start menu folder is added. I have to keep moving / deleting this folder. It happens almost everytime I use my computer. I can't find anything in preferences to stop this from happening.

Versioning:

McAfee: Total Protection Center

- security center v11.6

- virus scan v15.6

- personal firewall v12.6

- site advisor v3.5

- antispam v12.6

- parental controls v13.6

- file lock v2.6

- quickclean and shredder v11.6

Thanks for your help on this.

• 5. Re: Unwanted desk top icon and Start menu entry
                  Peacekeeper

No it is an issue that turns up now and again Last December was 1 time that it caused angst.

Seems the developers enable the option in the code every now and again. Actually my beta 12.1 does it I see now every 3rd boot. I have pinged a tech re this so till we get a fix can to wait patiently. I have pinge dteh beta guys as well. I do not have any 11.6 installs so cannot test this sorry.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/10/12 8:02:36 AM