Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
899 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2012 9:25 AM by Ex_Brit RSS
Paul142857 Newcomer 39 posts since
Jul 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2012 7:19 PM

McAfee Total Protection wants to scan my printer

I don't do a lot of printing so I usually keep my printer turned off.  (It uses a USB connection.)  Every time that I turn on my printer McAfee pops up an alert saying that a new drive has been detected and asking me if I want to scan it.  I tell it not to scan and I check the "remember this setting" box but it still does the same alert the next time. 

Possibly related to this is the fact that even when I uncheck the box for informational alerts on the alerts setup page and click apply, the box is rechecked the next time that I look at it and I keep getting alerts.  This is a minor but very annoying issue.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,591 posts since
    May 6, 2004

I think this is more a question for a Windows or Computer Help forum than here actually.  The reason I say that is that it would appear that Windows thinks your printer is a drive.

McAfee only sees what the system tells it is there.

What operating system and service pack is this and are you totally up to date with Microsoft updates and drivers for all your hardware?

Have you installed the printer manufacturers software that comes with all printers, or gone to the manufacturer's website to check for updated versions of the software and/or drivers?

When the printer is on, open Device Manager and look to see what the printer is identified as there.

If it's incorrectly identified then you do need to see an expert I think or at least ask questions of the PC help community but until I know more details not sure what else to suggest.

One thing to try if you can find the printer in Device Manager (usually under "Imaging Devices"), with it switched on uninstall it from Device Manager and then unplug it, replug it in and hope it installs fresh drivers.

Also what version of McAfee software is this please?  Open SecurityCenter and click 'About'.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/10/12 6:10:55 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    May 6, 2004

Well it shouldn't be scanning the printer at all, unless it's on a network and even then it would simply scan the network.

Try running the Virtual Technician:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/  it can often fix things automatically, run it twice if necessary.

If that doesn't help you can speak with Technical Support free of charge by phone or use online chat via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

They are better equipped to troubleshoot this sort of thing.

A last thought, have you run any registry cleaners lately?  They are notorious for causing abnormal behaviour like this so if you have and it has a reverse button, use it!

Sorry I can't think of a magic trick to prevent this off the top of my head. ;-)

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/10/12 8:29:47 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004

Registry cleaners are notorious for causing werdness such as this.  If it has a restore button I suggest you try it, and I suggest ditching the registry cleaner because they really are a proverbial pain in the butt, believe me.

Anyway, good luck!

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend