0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 1:45 PM by lovelace

Security for Mac 1.2: On-access Scan: Not Working

Problem:

I have recently upgraded to McAfee Security for Mac version 1.2.0. When I open the McAfee Security Console, the Dashboard shows the warning "Your Mac is at Risk" and "On-access Scan: Not Working."

History:

I recently upgraded from version 1.0; that version was not working when I began managing this server.

Environment:

McAfee Security for Mac Version 1.2.0 (1444)

Anti-malware

- Version 9.2.0 (4645)

- Engine Version: 5400.1158

- DAT Version 6853.0000

- DAT Creation Date: 10/2/12

Xserve

Mac OS X Version 10.7.4

2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

12 GB 1066 MHz RAM

What I have tried:

- Restarted McAfee

- Restarted the machine

- Performed an update (Successful, but did not resolve the issue)

- Performed a "Scan Now" (Successful)

- Checked the Console Logs:

- Found in /var/log/system.log:

- Oct  3 12:33:51 producer com.apple.launchd[1] (com.mcafee.ssm.ScanManager): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

- The above message repeats every 10 seconds

- Found in /var/log/McAfeeSecurity.log:

- Oct  3 12:33:51 producer McAfee: [81968]: Info: LogTime: 2012-Oct-03 12:33:51 AVAS: PID: 81230 : ScanManager::main() Starting ScanManager

- The above message repeats every 10 seconds

- Following the lead of the launchd error I investigated /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mcafee.ssm.ScanManager (Copied near the bottom)

-The only thing I noticed that seemed out of place was the <key>OnDemand</key><false />

- Per the documentation available from apple this was depreciated so I replaced it with <key>KeepAlive</key><true /> which I believe to be the updated syntax

- Still not sure what the <key>GroupName</key><string>Virex</string> refers to

- I tried deleting it

- I tried creating a group with that name but I wasn't sure what (if any) user would need to be in it or what permissions it would need

- Neither produced any changes

- I tried manually running /usr/local/McAfee/AntiMalware/VshieldScanManager as root

- No effect: did put an extra message in McAfeeSecurity.log (same message, just outside its normall 10 second period)

- Return code of 0

- Nothing sent to stdout or stderror

- I tried reinstalling it

- In the past I have had trouble getting it to stay uninstalled. I do what I think uninstalls it and then a few days later it is back so I may not be doing this correctly

Contents of /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mcafee.ssm.ScanManager.plist: (comments start with #)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<!-- Copyright (C) 2011  McAfee, Inc. All rights reserved. -->

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>GroupName</key>                                                  #Messed with this key, see above

<string>Virex</string>

<key>Label</key>

<string>com.mcafee.ssm.ScanManager</string>

<key>KeepAlive</key>                                                      #Messed with this key, see above

<true />

<key>ProgramArguments</key>

<array>

<string>/usr/local/McAfee/AntiMalware/VShieldScanManager</string>

</array>

</dict>

</plist>

I would appreciate any help or suggestions to get this working.  Let me know if I can provide any more information.