Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
689 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2012 11:12 AM by pcoates RSS
pcoates Newcomer 12 posts since
Jul 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2012 2:36 PM

MFE 7/8 Multiple A records Firewall Hosted DNS

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a supported way of adding multiple A Records for a specific Domain for the firewall hosted DNS server? Seems to be setup to only validate one entry. This would be to create a Round Robin DNS entry.

I believe you can work around this by modifying this at the CLI, but then this will be overwritten the next time changes are made from the GUI.

Thanks for any insight

• sliedl McAfee SME 535 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    1. Oct 2, 2012 3:30 PM (in response to pcoates)
    Re: MFE 7/8 Multiple A records Firewall Hosted DNS

You are correct - the only way to do this is via the CLI by editing the zone files and the GUI will overwrite your changes if you use the DNS section of the GUI after that.

• PhilM Champion 528 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    2. Oct 3, 2012 10:54 AM (in response to pcoates)
    Re: MFE 7/8 Multiple A records Firewall Hosted DNS

I agree with sliedl. I have a customer who needed to create multiple A records and editing the zone files manually is the only way.

Remember to change the serial number, otherwise when you restart the DNS processes they will not recognise the new addition.

And, yes, the GUI is then off-limits for any future DNS changes.

Having said that, I have a vague recollection of being able to create multiple A records in the GUI. You just had to adust the case very slightly (server1, Server1, SErver1, etc...). The GUI would recognise the difference between the entries, but the underlying DNS server didn't care. I don't know if this is still the case now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points