3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2012 11:12 AM by pcoates RSS

MFE 7/8 Multiple A records Firewall Hosted DNS

pcoates

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a supported way of adding multiple A Records for a specific Domain for the firewall hosted DNS server? Seems to be setup to only validate one entry. This would be to create a Round Robin DNS entry.

I believe you can work around this by modifying this at the CLI, but then this will be overwritten the next time changes are made from the GUI.

Thanks for any insight

• 1. Re: MFE 7/8 Multiple A records Firewall Hosted DNS
          sliedl

You are correct - the only way to do this is via the CLI by editing the zone files and the GUI will overwrite your changes if you use the DNS section of the GUI after that.

• 2. Re: MFE 7/8 Multiple A records Firewall Hosted DNS
            PhilM

I agree with sliedl. I have a customer who needed to create multiple A records and editing the zone files manually is the only way.

Remember to change the serial number, otherwise when you restart the DNS processes they will not recognise the new addition.

And, yes, the GUI is then off-limits for any future DNS changes.

Having said that, I have a vague recollection of being able to create multiple A records in the GUI. You just had to adust the case very slightly (server1, Server1, SErver1, etc...). The GUI would recognise the difference between the entries, but the underlying DNS server didn't care. I don't know if this is still the case now.

• 3. Re: MFE 7/8 Multiple A records Firewall Hosted DNS
              pcoates

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I just tried the alternating case workaround and it did return multiple A records. I also then tested if it returns in a round robin manner and it does as well.

Thanks again,

Cheers!