Have you checked the install logs?
I can only say that this process has always proved successful for me with problem clients that defy other attempts:
1. remove VSE via add/remove programs if possible, manually if not
2. remove agent via command line
3. remove anything left behind in the registry, c:\program files & c:\program data, C:\temp, etc, reboot
4. Download the latest agent from ePO, right click and run as admin (even if UAC is disabled)
After the agent install, the program almost always installs and updates as expected. At this point if it doesn't, I'll run the VSE install manually and find something I forgot in step 3.
Hope that helps.
Good morning, have you tried downloading VSE 8.8 with patch 1 as part of the package? Also I would recommend downloading patch 2. Patch 2 resolves several issues, patch 1 had. If needed force an installation of the Agent from ePO. Once completed, check for duplicate entries. Delete the older entry and move the new one to the group it belongs too. If needed force and uninstall of the agent from the command line, if you still have issues with the agent. Once complete, follow the steps below. Other question, the user, used to deploy the Agent and VSE is it a domain admin? If not, I would recommend adding it to domain admins.
1. Download VSE 8.8 with patch 1.
2. Download VSE 8.8 patch 2.
3. Check both into the repository. Make sure you check in extensions etc.
4. Create a task to deploy VSE.
5. Create task to deploy patch 2.
6. Deploy both to a test system.
Just a suggestion. Hope this helps.