7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 4:47 PM by lotty

McAfee Memory Leak Triggered by Restoring IPAD

lotty

Based on my understanding on an ongoing bug in the McAfee software that triggers a memory leak as documented the links below, I think I am running into the bug again on a PC I am using to restore my IPADs. I have been working for past couple days to restore my 3 IPADs.  Each time the restore process locks up numerous times and only way to end a lock up is to pull the plug on the Ipad and reboot the PC. After a lockup the PC stops responding normally across all open applications including itunes. The only way to get the itunes to again see the ipad is to reboot the PC. After a reboot the restore starts normally but just stops usually in middle of the step in the process to sync movies or music. My Ipads have a lots of data .. 60GB+. I spoke with Apple but they had no good suggestions. Fortunately on this last lockup I checked the resources of the PC and noticed that my InUse memory was 7300 (ie7.3+ GB) of total of 8). This is exactly where I have seen this memory leak bug trigger PC lockups. The following are links to what I think are the same issue.

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47463?tstart=0

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/48661?tstart=0

Also once you max out your memory the PC begins exhibiting all kinds of strange behavior generally characterized by a progression towards a catatonic state.

If the memory leak is confirmed as the root cause I really think this is moving into a new level of user pain. Now not only is this issue causing a huge wasted time working around the bug but now this has potential to corrupt such sync processes and hardware.

Message was edited by: lotty on 9/27/12 2:05:59 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: McAfee Memory Leak Triggered by Restoring IPAD
          exbrit

That doesn't happen here lotty but I often have to stop and restart iTunes to get it to display properly and/or link with my iPad.  That seems to depend more on what else is running on the machine at the time.  I've never had memory running away with it though or had to restart the machine.

You may wish to involve Technical Support with this because it certainly shouldn't be happening....unless you've caught one of the world's first iPad viruses which I doubt.

• 2. Re: McAfee Memory Leak Triggered by Restoring IPAD
            lotty

Based on my experience dealing with this memory leak I am going to save myself some time, avoid tech support and just work around the problem. I posted as a courtesy to other users.

• 3. Re: McAfee Memory Leak Triggered by Restoring IPAD
              exbrit

OK thanks.  You might just want to check the iTunes has full permiissions for all processs in Firewall.   It also juust occurred to me, you weren't restoring all 3 at once were you?

• 4. Re: McAfee Memory Leak Triggered by Restoring IPAD
                lotty

Confirming itunes with full permissions. And only syncing ... one ipad at a time (i did chuckle at the notion of trying to sync multiple ipads concurrently).

Regards

• 5. Re: McAfee Memory Leak Triggered by Restoring IPAD
                  exbrit

..if that is indeed possible.  I only have 1 so can't test that wild theory.   Thanks for posting and sorry I don't have a good idea for the problem.

• 6. Re: McAfee Memory Leak Triggered by Restoring IPAD

Sounds like it could be the same as the fwpclnt.sys problem.  If you were at or close to out of memory due to the nonpaged problem another process needing such memory would fail its request and if that failure was no handled properly due to the assumption that kernel memory is almost never exhausted on todays machines, then your other software, particularly drivers, would be left in a bad state until a reboot occurred.  This all caused because McAfee is leaking nonpaged memory like a sieve. 

I would be very careful because yes you could brick a device with this problem.

Funny you don't see the connection Peter having posted on both threads.  The fact that you can sync an ipod on a machine that isn't yet at the limit does not mean this is not the problem.  You need a machine that fwplclnt.sys has consumed all of the memory on.

I also have 8GB and that 7.3GB line is where things fall apart for me as well.  I think this is due to the 75% of memory threshold for the nonpaged pool.  As it reaches 6.2GB of nonpaged consumed things fall apart.  Assuming another 1.1GB of actual applications and windows running that is your 7.3GB.  You can verify by looking at windows task manager Performance tab the Nonpaged number in the Kernel Memory box.  I would not start an ipad sync if it is any where near 75% of your total ram, and you should be seriously considering a reboot at that point unless you want to lose data or risk corruption.

The real problem may indeed by in windows, but the problem we are all having is that McAfee is now usingthe problematic driver.  Prior to september our machines were not exhibiting this behaviour, I am not aware of any amazing new feature that McAfee brought me to justify the new problems.   Go back to the old way you were doing it, it worked better.

• 7. Re: McAfee Memory Leak Triggered by Restoring IPAD
                      lotty

Heck I forgot I posted this. But anyway I think its the same memory leak issue I have been dealing with since 7/30/12 when McAfee rolled out new build. As I posted in detail 

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47463?tstart=0

As you suggest in your post I just watch my memory and reboot often when I am going to do heavy I/O tasks including syncing my ipads and other "i" devices. Just for reference, on my ipad rebuild that had 55GB+ of data .. it took me about 6 reboots to completly finish syncing the ipad. Interesting here the sync process just stops and the PC does not crash per se. But the only way to progress through the full sync is to reboot the PC and start the sync again. If you do not reboot boot the sync process will not recognize the ipad. Once the initial full sync / rebuild further maintainece syncs are mostly done without requiring a reboot . I have learned to always run the resource monitor with memory view up in the corner of my screen. Ridiculous but necessary and effective.

As discussed in the link above the root issue relates to a function call into the kernal. McAfee has blamed it on Microsoft as you can read in the post but the back and forth in the link outlines another view that points the finger squarely back at McAfee. Once the memory hits that critical level around 7.3 GB .. then all kinds sorts of problems are triggered which renders the event log somewhat useless for pointing to a real root cause. Again as documented in this link the root failure presents in the memory dumps under a driver called something like netsys.???  .. it takes everyhting down .. the McAfee engineers remoted into my PC and captured all kinds of memory dumps etc .. I think all that is covered in the posting.

Bottom line we just have to wait for the fix but one temporary and free solution outlined in this post and that works for me is to completely uninstall McAfee, run the MCPR.exe tool, reboot, then install the FREE microsoft security essentials. That takes all of 15 minutes and you are likely to find your PC functioning normally. For me normal is having my PC run 7 days or more without reboot if not longer.