2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 6:54 PM by exbrit

Advice Before I Move to Norton

After years of using McAfee, I am about to dump it and look for something that is less intrusive.   My poor laptop is constantly laboring, with high CPU usage and slow response.  This is my livlihood, not some game.  I have turned off real-time scan and scheduled scan.  I have also turned off Carbonite which is the only thing I have on my system that might be competing for resources and I found out that even if it is paused, it starts queing up files for back-up.  I have done all of the obvious things like deleting temp files, defragging, ensured nothing was running unnecessarily in the background etc, but nothing seems to help.  I have a high-end laptop with plenty of space.   I am so frustrated.  

Anyone out there with some recommendations on things I might try.  I am an experienced end user, but not a real geek, so please be explicit.

Thank you in advance,

Paulette

• 1. Re: Advice Before I Move to Norton

I had Norton and it is way more intrusive and resource taking on a computer than McAfee (ask anybody who knows computers and they will tell you that) as well as the fact that Norton does not work well (I got lots of threats on past computers Norton never detected).  Norton eventually stopped working totally on this new computer I got and Norton's idiots could not figure out why their junk would not work on my computer, so they just stopped giving me technical support and said there was some mysterious thing wrong with my new computer they could not prove nor explain.  I dumped Norton for McAfee after many years and have had many problems with McAfee, but not as bad as the months of hell I spent fighting Norton before they forced me to dump them.  My advice is try AVG if you no longer want McAfee, but stay clear of Norton because Norton stinks (I will not even get into the big fight I had to go through with Norton to cancel them after their own technical support people told me to cancel them and buy something else).

• 2. Re: Advice Before I Move to Norton
            exbrit

lifelonglearner wrote:

After years of using McAfee, I am about to dump it and look for something that is less intrusive.   My poor laptop is constantly laboring, with high CPU usage and slow response.  This is my livlihood, not some game.  I have turned off real-time scan and scheduled scan.  I have also turned off Carbonite which is the only thing I have on my system that might be competing for resources and I found out that even if it is paused, it starts queing up files for back-up.  I have done all of the obvious things like deleting temp files, defragging, ensured nothing was running unnecessarily in the background etc, but nothing seems to help.  I have a high-end laptop with plenty of space.   I am so frustrated.  

Anyone out there with some recommendations on things I might try.  I am an experienced end user, but not a real geek, so please be explicit.

Thank you in advance,

Paulette

Paulette,

Technical Support is fre and available by phone or online chat should you decide to use them.  Linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Some laptops have a problem with McAfee if the are dual core or less, as in most Netbooks, is this the case here?

There's one other thing you could try.   Find the Carbonite process in Firewall Settings: Web and Email Protection > Firewall > Internet Connections for Programs > Turn off Netguard for that process.   (Hint: on that tab you can arrange everything alphabetically by clicking Program at the top).  Once you have found it, highlight that line and click the Edit button.  Try turning off Netguard and see if that makes a difference.