1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 12:50 PM by brupnick

VSE Upgrade Task

brupnick

Good afternoon-

How can I go about creating a task in ePO that will upgrade the version of VSE that is installed on my servers with the most recent version? I'm currently running 8.8.0.849.Srv and am looking to upgrade to 8.8.0.975.Srv (which is in my repository).

Thank you.

• 1. Re: VSE Upgrade Task
          mischaboender

Do you want to upgrade all systems at once, or a phase based approach? Did you check-in the complete software package or only the patch, and is it in the Current or Evaluation branch?

If you want to upgrade everything and the complete software package is in the Master Repository, create a Product Deployment task at the "My Organization" level and select the new VSE version from the product dropdown menu.

• 2. Re: VSE Upgrade Task
            brupnick

I have a tag called "Upgrade" that I've applied to a handful of systems. Ideally, I'd like to create a task and only have it run on those systems. I created a task that I thought would work, but no matter what I do, I can't get any of the systems to update.

I believe that the whole package is checked in to the Current branch. If I create a Product Deployment task like you mentioned, this should upgrade the current version even if VSE is already installed?

• 3. Re: VSE Upgrade Task
              mischaboender

Yes, it should work that way. Do you actually see the task starting in the agentlog on the client?

Or you using ePO / Agent 4.6? If so, you could do a "Run client task now" from the ePO console.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: VSE Upgrade Task
                mischaboender

This only works for upgrades. For downgrades you should uninstall VSE first.

All my clients get a client task to install 8.7 from the Current branch by default and it runs at every policy enforcement. I send another task to specific clients (by hand and by tag) to install 8.8 from the Evaluation branch over 8.7 without uninstall and that upgrades te system to 8.8. After the upgrade the default client task to install 8.7 fails (as expected with downgrades).

• 5. Re: VSE Upgrade Task
                  Laszlo G

brupnick you first need to add patch 2 for VSE 8.8 under your repository (not only VSE 8.8 full package) and then set a new update task selecting only "VirusScan 8.8" under patches section, this will do the trick

• 6. Re: VSE Upgrade Task
                    brupnick

@mischaboender

Yes, the task is running and when I do a "Run client task now," it finishes with a "Failed" status. This is what is on the ePO server:

9/27/12 10:45:32 AM Started: Sent Run now task "Servers - Install VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0.975" to "SERVER"
                    9/27/12 10:45:42 AM Run now task Servers - Install VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0.975 received.
                    9/27/12 10:46:17 AM Run now task Servers - Install VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0.975 started.
                    9/27/12 10:46:18 AM Run now task Servers - Install VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.0.975 failed.
                    Details: VIRUSCAN8800 installation failed.

@Laszlo G

I just checked and it doesn't look like we have VSE8.8 Patch 2 checked into our repository. Will 8.8.0.975 only install after Patch 2?

• 7. Re: VSE Upgrade Task
                      Tristan

If VSE 8.8 (no patch or patch 1) is installed on the target then you can only do a successfull upgrade task with patch 2 checked in.

If you only have the full VSE 8.8 (with patch 2 included) installer package checked in then i think a product deployment task is the only way you would get it to install.

• 8. Re: VSE Upgrade Task
                        Laszlo G

If you only have VirusScan 8.8.0.975 (installation package) then you won't be able to upgrade any computers with VSE8.8 or VSE 8.8 patch 1 (unless what tristan says works, I never tried it)

What you really need is to check patch 2 package into your repository so you'll be able to upgrade any VSE8.8 or VSE 8.8 patch 1 to patch 2 with an "update" task.

El mensaje fue editado por: ulyses31 on 27/09/12 17:57:02 CEST
                        1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: VSE Upgrade Task
                          brupnick

Please excuse the dumb question, but the person that I work with on ePO has handled all of the repository configurations in the past. Will an Update task only work on things that are checked in to the Current branch? For Deployment tasks, I can select which branch to use, but can't seem to find a corresponding option in my Update task.

1 2 Previous Next