1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 2:26 AM by zed

The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053

Hello, I suddenly got a lot of trouble with McAfee Total Protection.

I tried everything I could find and even had a technician on the phone... nothing helped !

I put manually the last avvscan.dat, avvnames.dat and avvclean.dat, uninstall and reinstall, ran the MVT... name it...

When I start the application I get the 0xc000009a error and when I go to the Services and try to start McAfee Scanner I get the 1053 error code

(all other modules are started as I can see in the Services).

Of course no M icone on the Taskbar and I run Windows 7 Ultimate fully genuine and updated included Java, etc.....

I guess I seriously can use some help !

Thanks a lot for a quick working answer/solution.

Email me if you need specific details.

Message was edited by: zed on 22/09/12 12:04:53 IST

Message was edited by: zed on 22/09/12 12:07:41 IST

Message was edited by: zed on 22/09/12 12:08:02 IST
        • 1. Re: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053
          exbrit

When you say "I put manually the last avvscan.dat, avvnames.dat and avvclean.dat" what exactly do you mean?    You can't manually put those items anywhere and that could be the cause of your problems.

By "Total Protection" I assume you mean the home version of the software and not "Total Protection Service", which is a Business product?

Uninstall anything labelled McAfee from Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Run the MCPR cleanup tool, listed under Useful Links at the top of this page and reboot

Download your software again from your online account.

• 2. Re: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053
            exbrit

Also....I assume that this is Windows 7 SP1 and that you have, even if you don't use it, IE9 installed and updated?   McAfee and other processes rely on an up to date working copy of the latest IE.  It doesn't have to be the default browser.

• 3. Re: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053

Hello Peter,

thank you for your answer.

Yes I was thinking of that and I have IE9 installed and updated after uninstalling all McAfee products and reinstall it from My Account once

the computer restarted after the IE9 updates, and yes I have Windows 7 SP1 and the Home edition of Total Protection

I put avvscan.dat, avvnames.dat and avvclean.datinto the right folder of course and I did it running Windows in Safe Mode

I put it where the other ones were, I first ran a search on the entire computer to make sure they wasnt several folders with these files.

The folder is: ...\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan

I can give an other try, uninstall again everything, download the latest MCPR cleanup tool

and reboot and download the software again from my online account..

I let you know.

Message was edited by: zed on 22/09/12 16:29:04 IST
              • 4. Re: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053
                exbrit

It might be an idea to uninstall, cleanup and reinstall.

In future to update your software manually see this:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2155

Note: once you upgrade to SecurityCenter v12.x, which should happen in the next month or two, you wont be able to update using this method.

• 5. Re: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053

Well.... I followed exactly your procedure and during the re-installation I got (as everytime I did) 3 times the error msg: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) and I noticed the .dat files in ...\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan are old !

Anyway, thank you very much for your suggestions and when/if you know something, please let me know.

For now I uninstall everything and put the Microsoft Security Essentials just to be protected until the McAfee works again !

Message was edited by: zed on 22/09/12 20:13:18 IST

Message was edited by: zed on 22/09/12 20:14:46 IST

Message was edited by: zed on 22/09/12 20:15:12 IST
                  • 6. Re: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053
                    exbrit

Oh well we tried.  When you uninstalled did you then run a fresh download of MCPR cleanup tool and then reboot  and then install from your online account, not from any CD that you may have?

You shouldn't need to worry about avvscan etc etc. because autoupdate will take care of that without any intervention from you.  Those old files are probably there because of your manual intervention.

• 7. Re: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053

Yes I did. I deleted everytime the downloaded setup and used a new fresh one. Same for McAfee Total Protection Pack.

In the meantime I run Microsoft Security Essentials and hope to get a working solution to switch back to McAfee.

I will try to contact a technician by monday and I will post here the result if relevant.

• 8. Re: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053
                        exbrit

Hopefully they will be able to solve the problem.  Good luck.

• 9. Re: The application was unable to start correctely (0xc000009a) / Error 1053

Normally after doing an uninstall and after running the MCPR cleanup tool you may need to clean your  folders from any files that might be left from the previous installations.

Those files and folders are located in several locations like:

1. C:\\Program Files\McAfee - delete everything inside.

2. C:\\Program Data\McAfee - delete the whole folder.

3. C:\\Users\YourUsername\Appdata\Local\Temp - delete everything which you can identify as a McAfee folder.

The problem with those files is that when you don't delete them after uninstal, than the OS still refers to them when you start your fresh installed software.

Wish you luck solving your problem.

Message was edited by: supp@user on 9/23/12 9:48:58 AM CDT
                          1 2 Previous Next