7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 8:30 AM by Regis

Internet Explorer vulnerability covered by McAfee???

Daniel_S

Hey guys,

wondering if someone can tell me if the newly discovered IE vulnerabiltiy and the exploits using it are discovered by the newest VSE 8.8 Patch2 Version?

Couldn´t find an official post by McAfee but think it´s an important thing to know as, at least here in germany, all media is speaking about it.

Regards

Dan

• 1. Re: Internet Explorer vulnerability covered by McAfee???
          trippy20877

Dan

I called my platinum support earlier today and I was told McAfee is calling the exploit "exploit-IEexecCommand". They had a beta dat out Monday (http://blogs.mcafee.com/network-security/never-ending-0day-story) but that exploit has since been added to dat 6839. If you check the release notes for dat 6839 you will see "exploit-IEexecCommand" was added to new detections and now moved to enhanced for dat 6840. As it was explained to me McAfee can now stop what would come down to the system via that exploit. But you still need to patch IE when a patch is released to make sure nothing can use the exploit.

• 2. Re: Internet Explorer vulnerability covered by McAfee???
            Daniel_S

Thanks for sharing that info.

• 3. Re: Internet Explorer vulnerability covered by McAfee???

The coverage is more extensive than that,  Security Advisory MTIS12-147 is McAfee's write-up, and under coverage, they note that they expect this vuln to be mitigated by Buffer Overflow Protection on VSE 8.x

McAfee MTISs are well hidden on the website, otherwise I'd directly link to it.

• 4. Re: Internet Explorer vulnerability covered by McAfee???
                rmetzger

mjmurra wrote:

McAfee MTISs are well hidden on the website, otherwise I'd directly link to it.

If it is Publicly available (meaning that anyone could find and read) why not directly link it?

[rant]

McAfee? Why haven't you made this document Easily found along with the other MTIS documents ( https://community.mcafee.com/community/security/gti/mtis?view=overview ) and make your analysis widely available. Why should I have to wait and search for hidden Security Advisories?

If it is only available to a select group, at least let us know that and refer them to an explanation. I have been looking for this document for 3 days, and it has Not been made available to me anyway. My customers are asking questions of Me about this.

They use VSE and I expect more than vague references to hidden advisories.

McAfee, lets get it together and Publish (Make Public) this Advisory.

[/rant]

Thanks for listening,

Ron Metzger

• 5. Re: Internet Explorer vulnerability covered by McAfee???

You can subscribe to them here: http://www.mcafee.com/apps/mcafee-labs/signup.aspx

Here's the  write-up,

Microsoft Internet Explorer Use-After-Free exCommand Heap Stray Code Execution
                  MTIS12-147-A

IMPORTANCE:

High

COVERED PRODUCTS:

DAT | BOP | Host IPS | Network Security Platform |
                  Web Gateway | Application Control

UNDER ANALYSIS:

Remediation Manager | Policy Auditor SCAP | MNAC 2.x | Firewall Enterprise

THREAT DETAILS

Microsoft Internet Explorer Use-After-Free exCommand Heap Stray Code ExecutionMTIS12-147-A

THREAT IDENTIFIER(S)

MS 2757760; M72739

THREAT TYPE

Vulnerability

RISK ASSESSMENT

High

MAIN THREAT VECTORS

Web; E-Mail

USER INTERACTION REQUIRED

Yes

DESCRIPTION

A code execution vulnerability exists in some versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer. Exploitation is achieved via a maliciously-crafted SWF file. Users are lured to a malicious site containing the SWF file. Further processing drops 111.exe which presents as a Autodesk FLIC image file. The actual shellcode was xor?ed with opcode 0xE2, and it also use hook hopping technique when calling APIs like urlmon!URLDownloadToCacheFileW, kernel32!CreateFileW and kernel32!WinExec etc, and hook hopping technique is commonly used to bypass common security protection like AV and HIPS. After successful exploitation, the shellcode will download a trojan from a remote server.

IMPORTANCE

High. On September 17, details of this vulnerability were disclosed. Functional exploit code has been observed in in-the-wild attacks.

MCAFEE PRODUCT COVERAGE

DAT FILES

Coverage for know exploit binaries is provided as "Exploit-IEexecCommand" in the current Beta DAT release. This coverage will be included in a future full DAT release. Beta DAT downloads are available at - http://www.mcafee.com/apps/mcafee-labs/beta/dat-file-updates.aspx.

VIRUS SCAN ENTERPRISE SCAN BOP

Generic buffer overflow protection is expected to cover code-execution exploits.

HOST IPS

Specific coverage is provided by signatures 6013 and 6048 ("Suspicious Function Invocation - CALL Not Found" / "Suspicious Function Invocation - Different Stack"). Both 6013 and 6048 were released in September 2011. Generic buffer overflow protection is expected to cover code-execution exploits.

NETWORK SECURITY PLATFORM

Coverage is provided in the USD release of September 17, 2012 ("UDS-HTTP: Microsoft internet Explorer Use-After-Free exCommand Heap Stray Code Execution").

VULNERABILITY MANAGER

Coverage will be provided in the FSL/MVM release of September 17.

WEB GATEWAY

Coverage for know exploit binaries is provided as "Exploit-IEexecCommand" in the current Beta DAT release. This coverage will be included in a future full DAT release. Beta DAT downloads are available at - http://www.mcafee.com/apps/mcafee-labs/beta/dat-file-updates.aspx.

REMEDIATION MANAGER

Under analysis

POLICY AUDITOR

Under analysis

NETWORK ACCESS CONTROL

Under analysis

FIREWALL ENTERPRISE

Under analysis

APPLICATION CONTROL

Run-Time Control locks down systems and provides protection in the form of Execution Control and Memory Protection.

DATABASE ACTIVITY MONITORING

Out of scope

VULNERABILITY MANAGER FOR DATABASES

Out of scope

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Microsoft: Vulnerability in Internet Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution US-CERT: Microsoft Internet Explorer 7/8/9 contain a use-after-free vulnerability Eric Romang: Zero-Day Season Is Really Not Over Yet McAfee Labs Blog: Never Ending 0day Story

• 6. Re: Internet Explorer vulnerability covered by McAfee???
                    dnf

So I guess if I look for threat name "exploit-IEexecCommand" I could know how many computers had the problem with that threat.

• 7. Re: Internet Explorer vulnerability covered by McAfee???
                      Regis

As someone with a penetration tester background, and a non-Mcafee voice here, I feel obliged to stress that signature based detections are rather easily bypassed.   Just because McAfee has a detection for the default metasploit payload, or a few variants of the exploit seen in the wild doesn't mean you are adequately protected.   

APPLY THE INTERNET EXPLORER PATCH that Microsoft has released, or block all Internet surfing from an Internet Explorer user agent are the only ways to really handle this one.  It's a big big deal.  Yes, IPS and AV signatures do help against script kiddies who don't know how to use re-encoding options in Metasploit, and VSE 8.8 buffo protections can be somewhat useful assuming a healthy VSE 8.8 installation, but they are no excuse not to close the hole and apply the Microsoft provided patch. 

Cheers,

Regis

Message was edited by: Regis on 9/24/12 8:30:07 AM CDT