5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 11:17 AM by echelon

McAfee Quarantine Manager not purging old mail

echelon

I am running Mcafee Quarnatine Manager 7 in conjunctionw ith McAfee Email Gateway.    Mail that us flagged for quarantined by the email gateway is pushed to the mcafee quarantine manager.    MQM  (in my opion) fixes some significant gaps in the McAfee gateway quarantine managment. 

the default settings is that users can view spam items up to 14 days old.    However quarantined items are not automatically purged when they are 2 weeks old.  I can schedule a purge taks BUT it looks like it would purge all quaratined mail.  I can manually run a job to purge mail that is older than a set date.   Neither is a long term solution.

any ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: McAfee Quarantine Manager not purging old mail
          Regis

I was told by support that among the scheduled tasks quietly left as an exercise to the reader in the setup guide... is a nightly purge task.

My database purge task was setup yesterday and ran in the middle of last night.    It did not delete the existing quaratined items (all of which are under 14 days old).

• 2. Re: McAfee Quarantine Manager not purging old mail
            echelon

I have the same problem.   I am  planning to eventually open a support ticket.

• 3. Re: McAfee Quarantine Manager not purging old mail
              Regis

To be clear, I don't believe I'm having a problem now that I have a scheduled task for the database purge.  I wouldn't expect or want my mail < 14 days to get purged, but I would want that over 14 days to get deleted.   I just don't have anything quarantined yet that's that old.

I am, however having some performance issues on the MQM, with CPU pegged ever since we cut over the full mail feed.   RPCserv.exe is a very busy little child.

How much hardware have you thrown at your MQM? 

• 4. Re: McAfee Quarantine Manager not purging old mail
                echelon

I snapshotted th VM running MQM first,  but , yes, when I run a scheduled database purge it purges stuff > 14 days old.

AdministrationMgt → Manage Domains  → Select a domain → click modify config

Default  "to keep" is  14 days..    

So the scheduled DB purge job soes seem to pick up these parameters.

• 5. Re: McAfee Quarantine Manager not purging old mail
                  echelon

For hardware, I have a Dell PowerEdge server , with a 6-coreIntel Xeon E5-24201.90GHz, and 16 GB RAM.  I am running Vmware a virtual machine for the mail gateway, and a virtual machine for the quarantine manager.   Two virtual CPU's and 3 GB RAM are assigned to the MQM machine (Win 2003 server 32-bit.)  This is for about 50 users.  Everything seems sufficiently responsive.