5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 12:23 PM by SafeBoot

EpePC has been corrupted (error 92h) (before and after decryption)

mfang3

This is what happened on my lenovo win7 system:

• i was browsing the internet and all of sudden the IE was not responding
      • i tried to open the windows task manager and wanted to kill the IE process (which normally will work, but this time windows task manager didn't even come up)
      • then i restarted the system and entered my passphase for EEPC
      • afterward, i see the following error message:

eepc1.jpg

i contacted my IT and followed the steps below:

Disk Recovery (EETECH)

1. Burn the WinPE_EETech.iso to a bootable USB or CD-ROM.
      2. Boot the system from the USB and wait for reboot complete (the command line window should automatically close)
      3. Click on the red square at the bottom left and select “McAfee Tools” -> “McAfee EETech for EEPC6”
      4. Run the EETechCode utility and identify the code of the day (4 digits)
      5. Click on “Authorize” under “Authorization” and provide the code of the day from the previous step.
      6. Click on “Token” under “Authentication”, type the user’s username and then the user’s passphrase.
      7. EETECH should now show under “Authorization” – “Status: Authorized” and under “Authentication” – “Status: Authenticated with Token”. All buttons should be enabled.

To access user’s data

1. Click on the red square at the bottom left and select “System Tools” -> “A43 File Management Utility”
      2. The system’s primary disk will be visible decrypted  as drive D:\  (usually, but not always)
      3. Data can be extracted from the primary disk by connecting a USB storage device and copying data.

i was able to access my data...

To decrypt the disk

1. Click on the red square at the bottom left and select “System Tools” -> “Command Prompt“
      2. Type the below red lines as commands in the command prompt window.
        1. Diskpart
        2. Wait for a “DISKPART” command prompt to appear, might take few seconds
        3. List disk
        4. You will be prompted with a list of all disks on the system. The primary disk is usually Disk 0, but you can verify this is the right disk according to the disk’s size
        5. Select Disk <Numer> (e.g. Select Disk 0) - Type here the disk number from the previous step
        6. A prompt will confirm that “Disk 0 is now the selected disk”
        7. Offline Disk
        8. A prompt will confirm that “DiskPart successfully offlined the selected disk”
      3. Close the Command Prompt Window.
      4. Back at the McAfee EETech window, select “Remove EE” under “Actions” and click on the “Remove” button.
      5. Decryption of the disk will begin and might take some time. When decryption ends, reboot the system.

after performing the steps above, my hard-drive is not decrypted. but i see the following message when i tried to boot up:

eepc2.jpg

it seems like my MBR is corrupted so i contacted my IT again and they gave me a .xml file and asked me to perform the following:

• Please use the attached .xml file and put it on your USB stick. When authenticating choose "File" instead of "Token" and point to the correct path to the attached file.

That should enable the rest of the buttons as well. Then click on Restore MBR button

i've followed the instruction but still seeing the issue.

then my IT team came back to me and asked me to perform the following:

1. Plug in a formatted USB key which you can boot from (same as you've used before).
      2. Open command line and run "bootdisk.exe EETech.RTB E:" where E: is the drive of the USB.
        Careful when you do this, make sure you type the correct drive letter of the USB key and approve the confirmation.
      3. Copy the XML file you've used before to the same USB stick
      4. When done, reboot the system and boot from the USB stick
      5. You should see a similar screen to the one you've seen in previous attempts.
      6. Put in the code of the day and click on "Enable USB" button.
      7. Then, Authenticate using the XML file like you've done in the past.
      8. Now, you should see the "Emergency Boot" button available – give it a try

after doing this, i'm still seeing the same error. while my IT team is doing their job to help me with it, just wanted to post this here to see if anyone has seen something similar? thanks!

Message was edited by: mfang3 on 9/17/12 5:35:44 PM CDT