5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 6:47 PM by exbrit

Google search times out every other day

My antivirus software is up to date but for the last week I have had a problem with google search. Every other day it just times out, the next day it works, then it goes back to not working.

The problem affects IE8, Firefox and Safari. When I have the problem I can't even ping www.google.co.uk or www.google.com.

All other web sites and searches work fine.

Does any one have any dieas ?

• 1. Re: Google search times out every other day
          exbrit

Is this in XP SP3 ?   (Just wondering why IE8)

Try opening SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Restore Defaults

See if that helps.

• 2. Re: Google search times out every other day

Hi,

Yes it is Windows XP SP3

Still on IE8 as it's what I'm using at work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the restore defaults in SecurityCentre - then tried Google search and it asked if I wanted to allow access, said yes but then still time me out.

I've had no access for 2 days in a row now - so will be intrigued to see what happens tomorrow.

Cath

• 3. Re: Google search times out every other day
              exbrit

IE8 is the highest version you can go on XP.

I'm at a loss here as to why a Google search would ask for permission.  The browser itself would but that would be once only.

Open SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Internet Connections for Programs

Hint: Click the word Program at the top to arrange alphabetically

Locate IE and make sure it has full  access.

Do the same for Google Toolbar if installed.

Save any changes.

Perhaps the best thing to do here is to contact Technical Support vua Useful Links at the top of this page.

It's free by phone or online chat and they may be able to figure out what's going on here.

• 4. Re: Google search times out every other day

Thanks for the suggestions Peter and for pointing out where I could find the link for live chat.....I'd spent a while looking for it without success!

I tried your suggestions and also had a go at chat. Unfortunately the problem seems to be resistant to all our efforts plus those of a few friends at work.

McAfee technical support have ruled out a problem caused by McAfee itself and said it is not a virus. So I suppose I can be re-asssured by that at leat.

If I do find anything further out I'll make a post.

• 5. Re: Google search times out every other day
                  exbrit

It's a mystery.   You could, if you want to, post a Hijackthis log on one of the forums I have suggested in the last link in my signature below, scroll down that page to see what I'm talking about

Explain to them what's happening and you never know, they may spot something unusual.