5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2012 7:03 AM by exbrit

External Hard drive scan hides my all files/data

Hello There,

I had a 500GB external hard drive which contain virus. When I attach it to my PC the McAfee detects it and ask for a scan. After 3 hours of scan my all data is disappeared that was around 250GB. I can still see my hard drive is half full while checking the property. Also a scan i found the name of those files. But when I opens it in explorer I hardly find any files. I have even tried to check it in windows command mode(dir) with no luck. I have also check it with other PC with no anti virus (McAfee) but shows the same result.

Can any body know how I can get my data back.

Any help will be heartly appriciated.

Thanks,

Shrikant

• 1. Re: External Hard drive scan hides my all files/data
          exbrit

If there were viruses on the hard drive then all the infected files will have been encrypted and transferred to Virusscan's Quarantine Folder.

You don't give any details but I'll assume you are using the home product.

Open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation at top right

Scroll down to Quarantined and Trusted Items

Are they there?    If so they can be either deleted or, if you feel that they are not virus-infected and VirusScan has made a mistake, follow the guidelines here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

• 2. Re: External Hard drive scan hides my all files/data

Thanks for replying,

I have tried the option which you have mention. I got 3 tabs when i click to open them they keeps on loading and after an hour of waiting I put it of. Is that the only solution available. I was thinking for some recovery program to get my hidden data. As I have already mention the I can see my external hard drive is showing some 250GB full. Suggest me should I use any such program or shoule wait for mcafee to load completely.

Thanks,

Shrikant

• 3. Re: External Hard drive scan hides my all files/data
              exbrit

Well if the files are all in the Quarantined folder they are regarded as infe3cted anyway.   I'm not of your intention here, did you want to save them or what?   To save them would be extremely complicated.

You could delete the contents of the quarantine folder manually which would stop that endless loading syndrome that you see, but the files would then all be lost.  Unfortunately that's what happens when infections occur.

First double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings & Alerts (left)

Click Access Protection to expand that section

Uncheck Access Protection and click Apply

Leave SecurityCenter open on your desktop because you should re-enable Access Protection after the following steps.

Open any internal page such as Computer, Control Panel or Documents and go to Tools on the top Menu Bar, then go to Folder Options and click the View tab

Look for the 'Hidden Files and Folders' item, and check the item 'View Hidden Files and Folders' if not already checked and click Apply and OK

Go to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine and click Edit/Select All

Click Shift and Delete simultaneously and the folder should empty.

Take care to delete only the contents of that folder, not the folder itself.

Re-enable Access Protection as mentioned above and click Apply and then exit SecurityCenter.

Those instructions are for Vista/Windows 7. 

For XP the folder is found at:  C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Virusscan

• 4. Re: External Hard drive scan hides my all files/data

Thanks Peter, for those wonderful support. I got my files back. I'm really happy and appreciate your efforts.

Shrikant

• 5. Re: External Hard drive scan hides my all files/data
                  exbrit

Glad to hear it.  Good luck to you. ;-)