1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 9:54 PM by Hayton

i have mcafee antivirus plus preinstalled on my lenovo laptop but it wont activate keeps giving error 9001 and when i tried virtual tech its saying virus scanner missing

i think i got some virus before i could activate mcafee. so i used windows recovry to restore my laptop to its factory default. i tried to activate mcafee but it keeps giving error code 9001 then i tried downloadig mcafees free virus scaner  and then i downloaded  virtual tech which says file :

File: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\1036\mvsdeflt.dll

please help

• 1. Re: i have mcafee antivirus plus preinstalled on my lenovo laptop but it wont activate keeps giving error 9001 and when i tried virtual tech its saying virus scanner missing
          Hayton

Two issues here.

That file (mvsdeflt.dll) :

McAfee VirusScan OEM Version Identifier

There's a discussion about MVT looking for it in the wrong place HERE

The error message (9001) is not common but I have found a mention of it in connection with Lenovo. The general meaning of 9001 (according to about.com) is

System error code 9001 means "DNS server unable to interpret format." This error code may also display as "DNS_ERROR_RCODE_FORMAT_ERROR" or as the value 0x2329.

The Lenovo reference was wrapped up in some Javascript code for the Intel Management Engine Interface, Lenovo H430 Driver -

error.code="9001";error.message="Server Not Found"

So it looks as if you're unable to activate McAfee because for some reason the Lenovo can't contact the McAfee server.

If you restored the laptop to its factory settings did you re-install McAfee? Try uninstalling it, run MCPR to clear out any left-over files and registry settings, and then re-install it. Also make sure you've got all the latest Windows updates.

If there's a connection problem after you re-install let us know and we can advise on steps to take to diagnose the problem.

Edit - You may need to use Lenovo's support operation at some point. Their Support page for the US is HERE (for another country just use the dropdown menu to select yours).

Message was edited by: Hayton on 15/09/12 03:54:34 IST