4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 11:22 AM by petersimmons

Software running very sluggishly

Recently we have been requested to run our software along with the McAfee Enterprise VirusScan. The results where not good. The software runs very sluggishly. The software runs fine with other AntiVirus software. I have turned off every option in the virus scan control panel. Still the same results. How do I go about trying to find out what the interfering interaction between the McAfee software and our software is?  An example of the problem is that one of our applications will display probe measurments. I can depress the probe and wait from 1-2 seconds before the value is updated on the screen. During this time period there is no reading or writting of files. Any Ideas?

• 1. Re: Software running very sluggishly
          rmetzger

jfmag wrote:

Recently we have been requested to run our software along with the McAfee Enterprise VirusScan. The results where not good. The software runs very sluggishly. The software runs fine with other AntiVirus software. I have turned off every option in the virus scan control panel. Still the same results. How do I go about trying to find out what the interfering interaction between the McAfee software and our software is?  An example of the problem is that one of our applications will display probe measurments. I can depress the probe and wait from 1-2 seconds before the value is updated on the screen. During this time period there is no reading or writting of files. Any Ideas?

Hi jfmag;

Well, given the complete lack of diagnostic information, I would suggest the use of McAfee Profiler ( http://mer.mcafee.com/enduser/downloadmcprofiler.aspx ) (use only in IE) which may provide a great deal of info as to what is going on.

Also, check out this Hot Topics ( https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB65944 ) which may help identify several areas that you may wish to investigate further to identify the issue at hand.

You may want to consider High Risk/Low Risk profiles and consider exclusions needed for your specific application.

I would strongly recommend the Best Practices Guide as a good starting point for understanding how to control the defaults currently in place and modifying VSE appropriately.

Hope this helps

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: Software running very sluggishly

Thanks for the information. I am going through the best practice guide.

As far as diagnostics I searched the nt even log but did not see anything. One entry for MclogEvent

McShield service started.

Engine version : 5400.1158

DAT version : 6834.0000

Number of signatures in EXTRA.DAT : None

Names of threats that EXTRA.DAT can detect : None

As far as the applications most are writtenin  vb6.

McAfee Enterprise VirusScan + AntiSpyware version 8.8 Evaluation copy.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Software running very sluggishly
              rmetzger

Hi jfmag;

I am not sure what is going on based on the descriptions you have provided. Event Logs are good to have when a Failure has occurred but not when things are working, albeit slowly. Slow performance does not constitute an 'event' in most cases.

This is why the McAfee Profiler tool is useful. You might even consider Sysinternals Process Explorer or Process Monitor. These tools may expose where the 'sluggishness' is coming from. From that, we can diagnose and potentially suggest what needs to be done. (I even use these tools to better identify where my code spends too much time and resources, which helps in the quality of the code, regardless of other issues.)

Some basics:

1) Are networks scanned (OAS)?

2) Is the application making a great deal of registry queries or changes?

3) Is ScriptScan enabled?

Performance tuning is an Art and a Science. Without using the tools, tuning is like playing darts, blindfolded.

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 9/14/12 2:25:20 PM EDT
              • 4. Re: Software running very sluggishly
                petersimmons

As a test, turn off Buffer Overflow protection. Let's see if that's the problem. If so there are ways to make exclusions for it. Turn everything back to the default policies though.