6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 11:36 AM by karthiks

Device protection is inactive

I would like some help from an expert please. I'll put it as simple as possible.

Couldn't print via wi-fi printer, possible solution to check if lexmark.exe was being blocked in firewall

Wanted to check Mcafee firewall

Couldn't access Mcafee via desktop shortcut or program list - no screen, just blank

Checked my account

Says my account (2 laptops at home - subscribed Feb 2012 for one year) was inactive.

Tried to install updates via status bar (near clock) by right clicking - no response

Not sure how to reactive my account and why it was deactivated in the first place. Been going round in circles and can't find a solution.

Any assistance to get this fixed would be most appreciated.

• 1. Re: Device protection is inactive

Hi Stanners ,

Can you provide few more informations ?

*What is the Operating System ?

*What is the Version of McAfee you are using ?

*Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the product ?

*Did you try to reisntall the Driver for the Lexmark printer ?

Please post us the answer to help you more..

Else you may also open a case with Technicqal Support on this as they can troubleshoot it directly.

It's free to reach them by phone or use their online chat and both methods are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: Device protection is inactive

Hi Stanners,

If you use Internet explorer 9 let me know the following details I will give you the possible solution for this issue. Thanks,

• Open Internet Explorer
            • Click on Help at the top of the Page
            • Click on About internet Explorer
            • Take the screen shot of the about page and update me.

Possible causes – Problem may be in Java or in Internet Explorer

• 3. Re: Device protection is inactive

I am using IE9. i have been having issues with Java recently. It can't find the jre1.6.0_14 file in order to update Java.

• 4. Re: Device protection is inactive

*What is the Operating System ? - Windows 7 Home Premium

*What is the Version of McAfee you are using ? McAfee SecurityCentre via Dell

*Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the product ? I tried to install from my account as it said Inactive

*Did you try to reisntall the Driver for the Lexmark printer ? No

• 5. Re: Device protection is inactive

Hi Stanners,

Thanks for the information's .

I beleive the IE9 must be got corrupted. You can try to De-grade the IE9 to IE8.

Uninstall via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program>Installed updates ( Found in the left side of the screen)

Try to uninstall and reinstall the Java back on the computer.

Uninstall via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Also you can try the following steps:

1. Click Start and select Search.

2. In the Search box, type CMD and click OK.

3. In the Search results window, right-click CMD and select Run as Administrator.

4. In the command prompt, type REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.

5. After the confirmation message is displayed, type REGSVR32 VBSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.

6. Close the command prompt.

Delete all the Temporary files.

Once completed open the McAfee program again and make a check.

Also you can try to Uninstall and Reinstall the McAfee program.

When the program get installed and if it says deactivated. Please try to Login to your  McAfee account and from there you can reactivate.

If you still have the problem, you might want to open a case with Technicqal Support on this as they can troubleshoot it directly.

It's free to reach them by phone or use their online chat and both methods are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 6. Re: Device protection is inactive

Hi Stanners,

Try the steps to register the Java & VB scripts as suggested by GK but after completing the steps if still you have the same problem please do not uninstall and reinstall the McAfee. Since you are using the IE 9 version probably it is having some problems in it. So there are chances if you remove the IE 9 you will be able to fix the problem. Please try the below steps and remove the IE 9 then check with the issue.

Before removing the IE 9 please create a restore point so that if something goes wrong you can restore the PC using the restore point.

How to Create Restore Point :

• Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
                    • In the left pane, click System protection.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
                    • Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
                    • In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

How to remove IE 9 :

• Click the Start button , type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
                    • Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
                    • Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
                    • Click one of the following:
                    • Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
                    • Restart later