1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 4:56 PM by Peacekeeper

Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%

I recently downloaded McAfee Security Center v. 11, Virus Scan v. 15, etc. through AT&T.

I tried to run a full scan overnight. In the morning, it was stalled at 31% completion. I tried again during the day, and again, it stalled at 31% completion.

This is a new laptop, so there is not alot to scan.

Anyone knows what's going on and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%
          Peacekeeper

Is it the same file each time?

Try a scan without use minimal resources

try a custom scan of programs and documents only does either work?

• 2. Re: Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%
            exbrit

In addition to what Tony has said I would ask it is stalling on a compressed file, perhaps one with other compressed files inside?  This can cause an apparent stall, although eventually it should get past it.

Another thing that can apparently cause this according to support are hard disk read errors.   Try doing a chkdsk.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt (located in Start/All Programs/Accessories...or)

1. Click Start, and then Run.

2. In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

3. To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk C:/r (with the spaces), and then press ENTER.

(Alter C to whatever the disk letter if necessary)

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/09/12 6:01:42 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%

Thanks for your responses, Tony, Peter.

OK, ,my situation has changed since last time. I tried to run a full scan again, and while it seemed to slow down in the 32-35% completion range, it did get all the way to completion. But it took from 10 pm-8 pm to scan 159,117 items. That's 10 h, which seems reeaaaallly slow. Like I had mentioned, this is a new laptop (had it for a week), so there is not much in it to scan (unless it came loaded with stuff). My old PC did not have this problem with McAfee and that PC had tons more stuff to go through.

I jotted down the breakdown of the files scanned:

Files 137,291

Cookies 400

Processes: 91

Registry items: 12,803

Boot records: 2

One thing I've noticed is this laptop is slow in loading websites. I'm thinking my RAM is taxed somehow. I'm trying to clean it up to free up the RAM. I wonder if this is causing McAfee to run slow, too.

I can't do a full scan without 'use minimal resources' since there was no option to specify this. I was going to try to run a "scheduled full scan" since there is an option to do deselect 'the use minimal resources' option. I haven't had the chance to try this, though, due to the developments I just described.

Suggestions always welcome.

• 4. Re: Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%
                exbrit

The minimal resources option only appears when you elect to run a custom scan, then you can specify a lot of things and omit drives etc.

• 5. Re: Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%

Got it, Peter. But don't you think it's my RAM that is the overriding culprit? Also, I never had to muck around with the minimal resources option in my previous PC.

• 6. Re: Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%
                    exbrit

What kind of processor has the machine and how much installed RAM?

It certainly could be a factor but it could also be a fact that McAfee is hogging too much of it anyway, in which case often a cleanup is in order.

Uninstall via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool (Useful Links at top of page), reboot and reinstall from your/her online account, not the CD.

If the worst comes to the worst contact Technical Support - phone is usually the quickest or online chat (also linked under Useful Links).

Anyway good luck.

Edit:  Sorry got two people mixed up hence the editing....!

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/09/12 2:11:23 EDT PM
                    • 7. Re: Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%

Well, it happened again. I set up McAfee to do a full-scan overnight (set to turn off when completed). When I checked on it in the morning, it only got to 25% completion.

Does the scan get stalled when the PC logoffs? My laptop was logged off when I checked on it this morning. Should I turn off the auto-log off option?

This laptop is an HP dv7-7023CL:

Microprocessor: 3.0 GHz/2.1 GHz AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor

Microprocessor Cache: 4 MB L2 Cache

Memory (on box): 6144 MB DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Max: supported 8 GB

HD: 750 GB 5400 rpm HD

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%
                        exbrit

If Windows starts a shut down independently of the software such as in Power Options, then it will simply stop and allow that to happen.

• 9. Re: Recently downloaded ATT McAfee, Full scan stalls at 31%

Windows is logging me off, not shutting down the computer. Does auto-log off halt or pause McAfee scanning?

Message was edited by: ebolaz on 9/13/12 2:07:00 PM CDT
                          1 2 Previous Next