1 2 3 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 4:01 AM by Tristan

Mc Afee Epo server not communicating

I have MCafee epo 4.5 installed on server. When i am checking the agents from client side then i am getting error that agent failed to communicate with the epo server. I have reinstalled the mcafee anti virus on the client side but still its showing the same error.. Can anyone help me out how to resolve this issue???

• 1. Re: Mc Afee Epo server not communicating
          Peter M

Moved from Consumer General to Business - ePO for better attention.

• 2. Re: Mc Afee Epo server not communicating
            Tristan

The first question is how did you deploy VSE. Was it a manual install or a product deployment task from ePO.

If it was deployed via ePO then you need to be looking at Firewalls and such like between the client and the ePO server. i.e can you ping the ePO server from the client. Another thing to check is that all 3 ePO windows services are running correctly on the ePO server

If it was a manual install then probably the agent is not registered with ePO. To fix that you need to redeploy the agent from ePO, so from the 'System Tree' in ePO at the bottom is a 'System Tree Actions' button. In there select 'New Systems' and go through the steps to add your client. This will re-install the agent with all the nescessary info to communicate with the ePO server.

• 3. Re: Mc Afee Epo server not communicating

I have installed mcafee agent from epo server. When i right click on client side of mcafee there is a option Mcafee agent status monitor. There is a option named "collect and send props". when i click on it i get an error that says "agent failed to communicate with the epo server.". I have checked the firewalls and firewall is off. I have checked all the services of the epo, and all are working fine. I can ping the epo server from the client machine, but i cannot telnet it. I have the ports configured on epo server which are as follows :

- agent to server communication port : 8080

- agent to server communication secure port : 443

- agent wakeup communication port : 8081

from some client pc i cannot telnet on any of these ports. Can u tell me how to resolve this issue?

• 4. Re: Mc Afee Epo server not communicating
                Tristan

8080 would be the port to concentrate on.

When you say telnet failed to connect what actually happened?

Did you get

Connecting to ????????....Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connection Failed.

Did you try:- telnet xxxxxx 8080 and get a blank screen? If so try typing GET (no text will be echoed) and return. If you get a '403 Forbidden' html type output then the agent should be able to communicate with ePO.

Note: obvious substitute your ePO dns or ip in the blanks...interesting just thought are you using IP in your tests or DNS values?

Message was edited by: Tristan on 11/09/12 13:44:21 IST
                • 5. Re: Mc Afee Epo server not communicating
                  petersimmons

Have you renamed the ePO server or changed its IP address since you installed it? That is not a trivial thing. You would still be able to install agents but they would have incorrect information to call home. The ports might be open but this strikes me as a likely result. If this is what happened there are a couple of fixes.

• 6. Re: Mc Afee Epo server not communicating
                    kenobe

Download a new framepkg.exe from your EPO and install on the workstation in question.  Sounds like your current agent install might not be configured to talk to your EPO server IP address.

• 7. Re: Mc Afee Epo server not communicating

I have done telnet on port 8080 and it shows the .Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connection Failed. I have recently changed the IP address of the lan pool from 192.168.1.x series to 172.16.196.x series. After doing that in some client pc's i am facing this issue. I have also downloaded a new framepkg.exe and did installation but since too nothing works. Recently i have also checked my sql express database of this mcafee. Am i need to clear the logs of it? Am i need to run query in sql ?

• 8. Re: Mc Afee Epo server not communicating
                        Tristan

Your not telneting to port 8080 as the error message clearly says port 23

you need to add the port number to the end of the command

e.g. telnet your_eposerver_ipaddress 8080

If you've changed you'll lan ip range i would check dns resolution on the troublesome clients it's possible that they are trying to look for the ePO server on it's old 192 address

• 9. Re: Mc Afee Epo server not communicating

I suspect that u user "telnet eposerver:8080" instead of "telnet eposerver 8080". There should not be a colon in between the server and port when using telnet.

1 2 3 Previous Next