I just tested this (VSE 8.8 patch 1 + Adobe 10.1.4) on two different machines. I couldn't even begin to measure any delay.
However, CPU utilization isn't what is important. Any time Windows fetches a file, it will always spike up to that. That's what happens when Windows loads a file (the CPU sits there and waits for it). Performance is always a tough thing to measure but unfortunately Windows masks disk IO as CPU.
I would recommend you opening a case. Just because I don't have the issue doesn't mean it isn't an issue. And I'm sure Support would like to collect the MER on it. If there's a performance issue we want to know about it.
Strange. I'd also suggest logging a case (Run a MER on the machine to assist with escalation if required).
I can't replicate the issue here.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Try switching down the Global Threat Intelligence/artemis level in the OAS policy and try again.
A higher than low GTI setting will refer pdfs fingerprint to GTI this adds many seconds on, also depends on the complexity of the pdf aswell (embedded objects etc)
Global Threat Intelligence wouldn't add more than 2000ms maximum. The DNS query (that's how GTI works) would time out. In most cases the queries are returned in 20-90ms. Feel free, to test with a lower level but I'm pretty sure GTI isn't adding 60 seconds to the query.
I don't think it's just a McAfee issue. I have a home computer with MIcrosoft's MSE, and sometimes PDF's can take a full minute to open. Maybe something to do with the way Acrobat 10 interacts with various virus scan software?
I am also having issues with Adobe Reader 10.1.4 and McaFee Enterprise 8.8 VirusScan Enterprise.
Anyone here have found a soultion?
Task Manger is showing 100% CPU, and Adobe Reader is not even running in the foreground, but it dead in the background.
Once I kill the Process it is down to 20% or less.
Any Idea, beside downgrading?
Is this a Adobe issues, or a Mcafee,
As a workaround and/or troubleshooting option, you could create an exclusion in your On Access Default Process policy to exclude "By file type", and exclude "PDF". Save the policy, wake the machine up, reboot, then attempt to open a PDF again, and note the result.
If you claim its OAS picking it up and spiking, this is a workaround.
Have you tried patch 2? It addresses "CPU spikes...
VirusScanEnterprise 8.8 Patch 2 is now available. This release includes new features,fixes, and enhancements including:
- Lotus Notes compatibility for 8.5.x
- Additional logging during Patch installation
- Various fixes for field-reported issues, ranging from BSODs to Updates using excessive bandwidth, and CPU spikes.
To downloadPatch 2, go to the McAfee downloads site at: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/downloads.aspx.
You can viewthe Release Notes at: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD23934.
I experienced the exact same issue today in my environment where opening up PDF files would hang for seconds with VirusScan8.8 on Win7 with Adobe Reader 10.1.4. Some of our users said it took up to 60 seconds to open up a PDF from Microsoft Outlook. Some of our users reported that unplugging the network connection fixed the problem. After investigating, it turns out to be a communication problem from our client computers to the GTI-Artemis backend (timeout issues or communication problems). Try the GTI Artemis PDF test file and nslookups troubleshooting commands to confirm you have proper DNS communications to the GTI backend.
In our particular environment, we have a very closed off isolated network from the Internet so we have to use McAfee GTI-Proxy appliances. Something caused all our GTI-Proxy appliances to stop responding to DNS lookup requests which ultimately created the huge delays (timeouts) in opening up PDF files from Outlook. We ended up rebooting all our GTI-Proxy appliance to get the business back to normal.