5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 8:12 AM by JoeBidgood

Good approach for deploying VSE to added computers to domain

bostjanc

Greetings!

We have set up Sync AD on System tree that every computer that is added to domain, he receives a Mcafee Agent.

Ok, now would be a good approach for deploying VSE to thoose newly added computers into our domain? If I decide to make a product deployment task for VSE, that VSE is being deployed every 1 hour or 30 mins, what will this cause to computers who already have VSE installed? What will cause for network bandwith? Will EPO everytime go check and ask all the pc's in the company: hey you there, do you have VSE installed?

• 1. Re: Good approach for deploying VSE to added computers to domain
          JoeBidgood

Tasks in ePO generally run as a two-step process: first, a "detection" step works out whether any action needs to be taken on a machine, and if it does then an "execution" step carries out the required action. So in the case of a VSE deployment task set to install VSE, the detection step checks the machine to see if VSE is already installed, and if not then the execution step runs the VSE installer. When the same task is run on a machine that already has VSE installed, the detection step determines that no further action is necessary, and the task exits at that point.

So, in your case: the machines will run the task every hour (for example.) There will be a small amount of bandwidth used as they check that the repository is available, but then the majority of machines (which have VSE installed) will not do anything else.

Will EPO everytime go check and ask all the pc's in the company: hey you there, do you have VSE installed?

No - this is all driven from the client end: the ePO server does not contact the clients.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: Good approach for deploying VSE to added computers to domain
            bostjanc

Joe thanks for quick reply.

1 more question soo the approach to put pushing VSE to my organization on every 1hour is not sucha ba

d thing?

I was wondering why there is no hourly option in scheduling product deployment task (see the picture bellow)? Soo I need to select daily and repating every 1 hour to achieve the reccurance?

hourly.png

• 3. Re: Good approach for deploying VSE to added computers to domain
              JoeBidgood

bostjanc wrote:

Joe thanks for quick reply.

1 more question soo the approach to put pushing VSE to my organization on every 1hour is not such a bad thing?

Not at all

In actual fact, because this is such an important area, the product deployment task has an extra option that other tasks do not: "run at every policy enforcement interval." This means that, if you wish, you can set the task to run every time a policy is enforced, which is every 5 minutes by default. This will obviously increase the bandwidth used - make sure that you're happy with this before you apply this widely.

Soo I need to select daily and repating every 1 hour to achieve the reccurance?

Yes, that's correct.

HTH -

Joe

• 4. Re: Good approach for deploying VSE to added computers to domain
                bostjanc

Will this exact settings (see the picture bellow) satisfy the need to deploy VSE for an unlimited time and try to repeat the task for every 30mins?

Untitled.png

• 5. Re: Good approach for deploying VSE to added computers to domain
                  JoeBidgood

Looks OK to me

HTH -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful