Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
13739 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2014 9:08 AM by Pritish RSS 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
damurrs Newcomer 19 posts since
Aug 28, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2012 10:26 PM

McAfee stops running

Hi,

I am running McAfee on my Windows 7 computer.  I previously used McAfee on a Windows XP computer with no issues.

However, McAfee stops when my Windows 7 computer goes to sleep. This was never a problem with XP.

Is there a setting I can change (other than stopping Windows 7 from sleeping) so my Virus Scan does not stop its scheduled scan?

This is incredibly annoying.  As I said, this problem did not occur with XP.  The computer would sleep and the Virus Scan kept running.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Art

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,371 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Aug 29, 2012 4:16 AM (in response to damurrs)
    Re: McAfee stops running

All I could dig up was it should not run when in the hibernate mode. Let us see if another mod or tech can answer it. Is it anything to do with bios wakeup settings?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 23, 2002
    3. Aug 29, 2012 3:43 PM (in response to damurrs)

Art what was the version you were running on XP? I have flicked this up the line for comment. What is the time between sleeps scan should if you do not have use minimal recources selected scan a normal PC in 1 - 2 hrs mine does.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 23, 2002
    5. Aug 29, 2012 8:54 PM (in response to damurrs)

Ever thought of a 2hr sleep cycle. I have asked the techs so will let you know the answer.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

• Sc00ter Newcomer 23 posts since
    Jul 5, 2009
    7. Aug 30, 2012 7:30 AM (in response to damurrs)

Microsoft made Windows 7 more power conscious.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7 -computer-goes-into-sleep-mode-while/bcd680cc-4ae4-4476-82ea-c26d4c88b218

I have a Windows 7 Ultrabook and am experiencing the same behavior.  I am considering using a program like SetPower to mirror my scan schedule (i.e. only suspending sleep for the day and time period of scan).  But right now I am more concerned about putting the laptop battery through too many charge cycles.

Nov 23, 2002
    8. Aug 30, 2012 3:36 PM (in response to damurrs)

No answer yet with rechase them later on today

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points