3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 8:45 AM by greatscott

Disabling all McAfee Services

Heya

We are currently trying to investigate connection issues in a client server scenario where the server is protected by VSE 8.7.0i

In order to troubleshoot we deactivated all obvious McAfee Services ( McShield , McAfee Task Manager service, McAfee Framework Service, McAfee EngineService ) only McAfee validation Trust Protection S. is still running.

The rest was deavtivated (using services.msc) and confirmed not to be running (Task Manager).

My question: Is this enough? Are there any sideeffect of stopping the services? Or are there any other Services that may be able to modify or block Tcp/Udp packages?

Cheers Bernd

• 1. Re: Disabling all McAfee Services
          greatscott

If you are running HIPS, that could definitely cause a blocking situation as well. You can disable these from their respective consoles, versus just stopping them from services.mmc.

In the worst case scenario, I would just uninstall the product, test, then re-install. Cumbersome, but at least you will know 100% for sure.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Disabling all McAfee Services

Thanks for the fast response.

As we are not adminstrating the box it is a bit of a pain to troubleshoot. It would be helpful for us to be able to check of this really is the cause. Currently we only have user rights and were not involved in setting up the VSE so we don't really know what is configured and what isn't.

We could only ask them to shut down the services the way described above. Are you aware of any logfiles that may help us to trace if there really are TCP packages touched/blocked/dropped?

Does VSE run a kind of local proxy service that is still acitve even though shuting down the above mentioned services?

• 3. Re: Disabling all McAfee Services
              greatscott

Look here for logs, there are a few:

C:\ProgramData\McAfee\DesktopProtection

Your block may show up in one or more of them.