Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
4856 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 12:50 PM by alexn RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
feblex Newcomer 19 posts since
Jan 18, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2012 9:51 AM

ePO 4.6.2 -  From 2003 32bits to 2008 R2 64bits

Hello everyone, I have read a lot about migrating ePO from 2003 to 2008, so before asking anything here's what we have now:

Current Server

Server name: oldserver

Server ip Address: 1.1.1.1

ePO: 4.6.2

Database: SQL Server 2005 in another server

This is what we want:

New Server:

Server name: newserver

Server ip Address: 1.1.1.1

ePO: 4.6.2

Database: SQL Server 2005 in another server

We have almost 500 managed systems and almost every product: HDLP, VSE, GSE, HIPS, PA, EEPC, Encrypted USBs, Sentrigo stuff and other integrations...

So basically is an OS upgrade with another server name while keeping the same IP.

These are the kbs i've read:

How to migrate ePO 4.5 or ePO 4.6 from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system (or to a different installation path)

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71078

This seems to be the one that i should use, but the thing that worries me is that it says that it will not work if i use another server name.

But then i found a workaround for a name change:

ERROR: Failed to get server key information (issue: ePO 4.5 Server renamed)

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66620

So i was thinking about using both kbs. But i'm not sure of the order, for example, i can prepare newserver while oldserver is still working on production, but then if i rename oldserver to newserver i'll have to keep the real newserver offline while the agents get the new site list, so i'm kinda confused with this right now...has anyone done this in the past?

• petersimmons McAfee Employee 230 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009
    1. Aug 27, 2012 2:16 PM (in response to feblex)
    Re: ePO 4.6.2 - From 2003 32bits to 2008 R2 64bits

Have you considered standing up a brand new server, registering it with the old server and then just transferring every machine to the new server? (Using the Agent Transfer Utility) It requires a couple more steps than what I outlined BUT you can keep both servers up and there's no issues with having to regenerate ePO's internal certificates. You also don't have to match every single extension perfectly. They can be slightly different. I always seems to mess up a couple steps myself when doing a "brain transplant".

Dec 22, 2009
    3. Aug 27, 2012 3:21 PM (in response to feblex)

I'm not really sure why you need to do the KB method? The Agent Transfer Utility works fantasically. Of course, with that method you end up with a different hostname and IP (which is not a problem) because they are two distinct servers. Once the 'old' server is finished transferring you end up with the problem machines that aren't communicating. You can fix those and then decomission the old server.

The drawback to the ATU Migration as opposed to the brain transplant method (the KB) is that no one has documented the ATU Migration yet (but I will since more people ask about it all the time).

EDIT: And let me add this: I actually prefer to have the old and new servers up at the same time to work on them should anything go wrong or just take longer. The fact, that I can get a new IP and hostname out of it is a bonus. This is also the method I use to help customers virtualize the ePO servers.

Message was edited by: petersimmons on 8/27/12 4:21:17 PM EDT
    Dec 22, 2009
    5. Aug 28, 2012 2:57 PM (in response to feblex)

Not exactly, there's no backup and restore here. You're migrating the agents from the old server to the new server. You can share policies and tasks. And you will want to export and import the system tree. Both methods would be supported by Support. The other clearly works in the KB. It is the only method that works with a backup and restore. That part was true. This method even works with two different versions of ePO (4.5 vs. 4.6) because it doesn't involve  any backups or restores. It is a migration of agents between two independent servers. You leave the data and any quirks of the old server behind. Of course, in 3 months you won't need the data anyway.

Clearly I need to document the whole process and post it. You aren't the first customer who has given me confused looks. Can you wait a week or two for a more full set of documentation? (Which I'll post on my blog here) I am not sure I can get everything needed written down before then.

I just used this method last night while testing out a beta version of Deep Command to control vPro systems between two different patch versions of 4.6.

• gbays Newcomer 2 posts since
    Aug 31, 2012
    7. Aug 31, 2012 9:46 AM (in response to feblex)

I'm in the process of writing a change order and a project plan to do the same thing.  We are upgrading our servers from 2003 to 2008 and I will also wait until you write the KB.  Thanks for all the good information.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points