Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
5081 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2012 1:00 AM by bratsche RSS 1 2 Previous Next
bratsche Newcomer 19 posts since
Jun 8, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2012 1:09 PM

"Product Alert" popup

I have Total Protection; my subscription ends in less than a month and I have been getting a lot of email from McAfee about renewing [which I will NOT be doing]. I have been traveling for the last couple of weeks, staying in apartments rented thru VRBO and therefore not using my usual home Internet connection, but not using public connections (e.g. hotel) either. In the last 2 days I have started seeing a popup allegedly from McAfee saying:

Product Alert

Your system may be at risk.

Please run McAfee VT by clicking on the link below to correct the issue.

what would you like to do?

[dropdown menu with] Fix now and Close, and an OK button next to that.

Every time so far I have selected "Close" and then gone to the McAfee icon in the lower right hand corner of my screen and double-clicked on it to open up Total Protection, which shows green and says "Your computer is secure, no action required." I do still have NetGuard disabled from previous issues.

Is this pop-up legitimately from McAfee? If so, and if they think there is a problem, why do they say elsewhere that my computer is secure and no action is required? Should I follow its link? Should I run VT from some other source? Are they just trying to send me to a reminder to renew?

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,545 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Aug 26, 2012 1:33 PM (in response to bratsche)
    Re: "Product Alert" popup

Not sure why that's happening unless it's sensing you are in a nother location perhaps?   VT is the Virtual Technician which is at http://mvt.mcafee.com/ so if that's the link it's OK.  I wouldn't bother with it if the software is behaving itself.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • durgan37 Newcomer 2 posts since
    Aug 26, 2012
    2. Aug 26, 2012 7:13 PM (in response to bratsche)

I am having the same problem. There is no link to follow just the options listed by bratsche.

Product Alert

Your system may be at risk.

Please run McAfee VT by clicking on the link below to correct the issue.

what would you like to do?

[dropdown menu with] Fix now and Close, and an OK button next to that.

I have not selected either option because it looks like an invitation to a virus or malware.

I have been rebooting to clear the pop up.  When the PC is shutting down it flashes windows about a program shutting down with the "end now" button two or three times.  When I shutdown I have nothing running.

Running the virus scan does not find anything and tells me I am secure.  Shortly after it pops up again.

I think it is a virus or malware problem because the pop up can't be minimized and it stays on top of whatever web page or folder is open. 

I am running my PC from home and have never moved it from this location so I don't think it has anything to do with a change of location.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    3. Aug 26, 2012 7:33 PM (in response to durgan37)

See the reply I gave to another poster here

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • blackbutterfly Newcomer 1 posts since
    Aug 26, 2012
    4. Aug 26, 2012 8:46 PM (in response to bratsche)

I also have Total Protection yet I'm also havg this Pop Up Product Alert problem. It just started popping up 2days ago. As durgan37 stated, there is no link to follow just the options of "Fix Now" or "Close". I've been clickg "Close" and it closes the box but the box has re-appeared several times over the past two days. I too am running my PC from home and have never moved it so likewise I don't think it has anything to do with location as you replied. Need to know why this is happening. Thanks.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    5. Aug 26, 2012 10:41 PM (in response to blackbutterfly)

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • durgan37 Newcomer 2 posts since
    Aug 26, 2012
    9. Aug 31, 2012 11:06 PM (in response to bratsche)

I had luck downloading the" virtual technician" from the McAfee website that the moderator directs you to in the post above.  It took a long time to run and it said it fixed multiple problems but could not fix 2 items.  It then asked if I wanted additional support from McAfee support.  I said no and have not had any more problems with this popup. I didn't load a patch just the most recent version of virtual technician. I hope that helps you too.  Good luck.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points