Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is locked
14622 Views 36 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 2:14 PM by Ex_Brit RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • petehawkes Newcomer 3 posts since
    Aug 27, 2012

I disagree - the issue was NOT fixed in two days - the solution may have been found and posted on the McAfee website in this time, but for me the issue took 8 days to resolve.  In my case, with 4 computers (2 laptops and 2 PCs, only one of which appeared to have been directly affected by the update issue but which managed to interfere with access by the others) connected via the same router, the problem was intermittent and an email WOULD have reached me eventually.  I had periods of normal internet & email connectivity interspersed with periods of several hours at a time with no or excruciatingly slow connection, during which various error messages - including some from McAfee, others from various Microsoft products - would pop up and Internet Explorer would shut down immediately after being opened, but with nothing pointing to a particular source of the problem...an email from McAfee would have sorted this out as I would have received it during one of the OK periods.

Even if an email or phone notification was not feasible, how about a press release?  Or an email to major ISPs around the world, who could then have asked customers phoning in with connectivity issues whether they were using McAfee???  Word would have got around a lot quicker...the parallels with the lack of communication from Blackberry earlier this year when their system bombed are impossible to avoid.

I remain disgusted with McAfee - the value of the time I wasted trying to resolve the issue is probably equivalent to around 5-10 years subscription for my 4 machines...do you think they'd be willing to reimburse me for this?  I doubt it.  Luckily I discovered the solution before my telecom provider paid a house call, which would have cost me an additional $50 (US) or thereabouts...

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,571 posts since
    May 6, 2004

Sorry you were so inconvenienced.  Customer Service department may reimburse anyone who is out of pocket as a result if this.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/09/12 6:29:41 EDT PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • benqtlh benqtlh Newcomer 1 posts since
    Aug 28, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    22. Aug 28, 2012 4:13 AM (in response to xinyuan)
    Re: Cannot connect to the internet because of McAfee

McAfee are very rubbish.

Last week, my pc cannot connect internet suddenly.

I check my pc, router and cable. They are work very well.

Finally, i find out the problem about McAfee from other forums.

That's rubbish program make me to use two days to find out the problem.

It's make me very angry.

What the Fxck rubbish program, cannot connect internet after update ?

So I delete the rubbish program and use NOD32 now.

Thanks.

benqtlh

• baldrick Newcomer 3 posts since
    Aug 28, 2012
    23. Aug 28, 2012 4:16 AM (in response to xinyuan)

The problems caused were bad enough. The delay in receiving email notification of the problem was third-rate. If I'd bundled all devices to McAfee I would have been right up the creek.

• petehawkes Newcomer 3 posts since
    Aug 27, 2012
    24. Aug 28, 2012 4:36 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

...problem is it's difficult to demonstrate my losses - I run a small environmental consulting business and lost 2 days work, but I am not out of pocket in the sense of having had to pay for someone else's services, hardware or software (as seems to have been the case with many people)...I have however lost income as a result of having spent many hours tracking down and then running the fixes on 4 machines (including completelt uninstalling, downloading and reinstalling on one machine on which Virtual Technician would not even install) as I could not be sure which were affected.  If McAfee are willing to reinburse me for my time, I would appreciate it...I am happy to provide an invoice.

• jollytinker Newcomer 1 posts since
    Aug 28, 2012

I have been having massive problems with McAfee this week after having been a customer for 12 years.

Right now I cannot succesfully:-

Install Virtual Technician despite having downloaded it.

Reinstall McAfee Virus plus, Despite having uninstalled it and downloaded again.

Contact any support personnel.

Is McAfee in melt down?

I have just downloaded AVG on 30 day free trial and unless McAfee does something real soon I'm abandoning them even though I have three machines covered by them with 3 months subscription to go.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,353 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002

Jolly pointed the admin in your direction

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• bhehmann Newcomer 7 posts since
    Dec 18, 2010
    27. Aug 28, 2012 9:08 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Really, Ex_Brit?  When I called McAfee Customer Service they told me that they can't reimburse me after my ISP took my $40 just to tell me that this was a known McAfee issue!

Regards,

B

Message was edited by: bhehmann on 8/28/12 9:08:57 AM CDT
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,571 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    28. Sep 8, 2012 5:37 PM (in response to bhehmann)

bhehmann wrote:

Really, Ex_Brit?  When I called McAfee Customer Service they told me that they can't reimburse me after my ISP took my $40 just to tell me that this was a known McAfee issue!

Regards,

B

Message was edited by: bhehmann on 8/28/12 9:08:57 AM CDT

Sorry about that.   I'm surprised to hear that ISP's would charge for support.

frustrated1968 wrote:

Hello everybody,

I too have spent the last few hours trying to decyfer why as soon as one of my laptops updated, I suddenly have no internet. ( connected to network but nowt else )  when i turn on my other laptop, phones, ipad and connect its all good.

We all pay Mcafee loads of money for a product that is supposed to "protect and serve" and have been let down again.

By the way for people reading this I had to do a system restore back at least a week to fix and then did latest update which seems to be ok..

Also I will be looking at other providers once subs run out again, as things are happening far too often lately for the trust factor to remain high.

Jenson,

Regards from Frome

Hi Jenson, I know Frome well, have friends living there and I used to visit when I lived in London.  Anyway back to the problem.  The update that caused a disconnect happened 2 weeks ago and has long since been sorted out, unless of course your ISP is late delivering updates, which would mean you are constantly at risk anyway, that's assuming you get your protection from them of course, if you get it direct then I'm at a loss to explain what has happened.  Other than perhaps try right-clicking the taskbar Network icon and select Diagnose and Repair.

Have you tried a complete uninstall via Control Panel, run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from the online account?

If you have and it didn't work, then Technical Support is available, also via the link under Useful Links, free of charge and you can reach them by phone or online chat.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • formercustomer Newcomer 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2012
    29. Sep 26, 2012 12:34 AM (in response to xinyuan)

Hi

I found the ultimate solution to this problem, which was not the first I had experienced in my three months with Macafee.

Having spent a whole day trying to install the software on another computer, which to be fair, was eventually sorted at the second time of asking by Macafee. I experienced the same problems with loss of connectivity for a number of days and various calls to ISP and various others, who were not responsible, but none the less very helpful.

Eventually, after admitting defeat at following the instructions on Macafee's website, my ISP gave me a number to ring Macafee, which I did. I got through to a lengthy recorded message, which suggested that the only solution was to Uninstall then Reinstall the software.

OVER MY DEAD BODY - If I uninstall this I am not going to reinstall it!  Uninstalled from both machines using control panel then the MPRT or whatever it's called, then went back to my previous supplier and not a problem since. THE PERFECT SOLUTION and not a sign of Macafee anywhere.

Attempts to get my money back have been fruitless, but what the hell, put it down to experience.

Cheers

PS I can't beleive how many different problems come up when you Google "Macafee internet Security Problems" They must happen every week

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points