6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2012 4:27 PM by Peter M

Why do McAfee charge £59.99 to remove a virus they didn't prevent infecting

My computer was infected today with the Live Security Platimum virus.

I chatted to support on line who tells me he can't help as I have to call the Virus Removal team who will help remove this virus for the price of £59.99. HELLO?? I've paid for the software to protect me from viruses, which it didn't and now I have to pay more than what the software cost, to get rid of it?? How does that make sense??

I understand and accept that McAfee are not able to protect 100% of the time because of new threats but SURELY they shouldn't charge to help remove a virus that they were unable to protect their customers from.

I've been on the internet all day looking for solutions and its odd that Malwarebytes can remove this viurs but McAfee can't.

I've also got the problem of the McAfee Firewall being stuck on OFF and have seen loads of posts here with people having the same problem and yet no solutions from McAfee support.

You get more help with Free AVG or Avast.

I have been with McAfee for years despite most of the people I know won't go near it. Now I know why

I will be advising anyone I speak to of the problems I'm having and the lack of support I got from a Software I paid for

• 1. Re: Why do McAfee charge £59.99 to remove a virus they didn't prevent infecting
          Peter M

First of all no antivirus, no matter what brand, is 100% guaranteed to catch everything out there.  It's unfortunate I know, but true.   All the major antivirus companies charge for one-on-one removal which is what some people prefer to do to save time and effort but there's always a free alternative.

See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-live-security-platinum

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/08/12 8:08:17 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: Why do McAfee charge £59.99 to remove a virus they didn't prevent infecting

So really we don't need to buy software from McAfee because when we get a virus all we need to do is goolgle ways to removing it. (there's thousands of help out there for free).

This is the case with me as I've only had 3 viruses in the las 2 years, each time McAfee couldn't DETECT it when others could and I had to google how to remove them which I did successfully. So why am I paying?

I've paid McAfee for over 10 years. I find it shocking that their business is to protect computers and yet they fail in that.

i

• 3. Re: Why do McAfee charge £59.99 to remove a virus they didn't prevent infecting
              Peacekeeper

You paid insurance as well on your car/house?. Mcafee and the others cover hundreds of thousands of viruses  and better protecting from these than chancing you pick up an old viryus.     Also the developers of Malwarebytes said

· ...from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
              As far as why MBAMis very good at dealing with this infection, that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem tobe having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions ofinfectionsthat any decent AV already detects as
              MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some waybypassed.
              Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to itscore app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

These types of malware are hard for the front line Avs to detect as they usually require you to select an option. Even closing the popup installs them. Mcafee has to look after viruses as well as malware and fake AVs so they do not pick up fake AVs as well. Maybe a lab tech might explain this better this only a lay discription.

• 4. Re: Why do McAfee charge £59.99 to remove a virus they didn't prevent infecting
                Peter M

@jenx Sorry I bothered to try to help.   Read what we said.

If you don't believe us, read independent security forums such as BleepingComputer etc.

its odd that Malwarebytes can remove this viurs but McAfee can't

Not odd at all, Malwarebytes, being a specialized software, has problems removing the millions of viruses, trojans and worms that Virusscan removes and vice versa.   It's wise to keep something extra around handy for such occasions.   If disaster happens, don't panic, Google comes in very useful when this happens.

There are several tools and hints in the last link in my signature below.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/08/12 6:40:09 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: Why do McAfee charge £59.99 to remove a virus they didn't prevent infecting

Hello

I really do appreciate your time and these forums are an absolute life saver. I do believe what you're saying and have always advised friends who aren't so pc savvy that they MUST have an anti Virus software AND an anti Malaware/Spyware program. I've had Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on all my machines since they first appeared.

And I absolutely don't hold it against McAfee for not having a fix for every threat out there.

The reason I'm cheesed off is because I don't think it's right for McAfee to charge (and quite a hefty amount) to support an already paying customer when faced with a virus despite having the software installed and running.

Thanks for the link to bleepingcomputer. I did come across it when searching for solutions.

I'm relieved to say the virus seems to have been eradicated after running MBAM a couple of times in safe mode.

I just need to fix the damage it left behind

Thank god for forums!

• 6. Re: Why do McAfee charge £59.99 to remove a virus they didn't prevent infecting
                    Peter M

I hear you and thanks for posting back.   I agree the fee for that particular service seems steep but it's standard for the industry as a whole from what I've seen & they are simply matching the competition (Norton/Symantec etc.).    Glad you are OK now.