1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 8:20 AM by sgrimmel

Hot Fix HF517265 for Virusscan 8.7i has been released

PhilR
      Summary
      The process McTray.exe can intermittently fail when it is initializing, exhibiting the symptoms described below.

Problem 1
      McTray.exe stops responding when VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 8.7i Patch 2 and McAfee Agent 4.5.0 are installed on the same computer. This issue has been reported on computers managed by ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) and on unmanaged computers.

Problem 2
      The VSE 8.7i system tray icon disappears intermittently and SHSTAT.EXE is no longer running in the Windows Task Manager.

Problem 3
      The following displays in the Windows Application Event Log:

Event ID: 1000
      Source: Application Error
      Description: Faulting application mctray.exe, version 2.1.0.135, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5781, fault address 0x00001804

NOTE: The version listed for kernel32.dll will differ based on the operating system.

System Change
      McAfee Agent 4.5.0 was installed on a system running VSE 8.7i with Patch 2.

Solution
      A hotfix (VSE870HF517265.Zip) has been created to resolve this issue. This hotfix is available for download from the Attachments section at the bottom of this article.

NOTE: A readme is included with the package.

To prevent this issue occurring, use an application upgrade path displayed below:

Apply the hotfix update to VSE 8.7i Patch 1 prior to installing Patch 2
      Apply the hotfix update to VSE 8.7i Patch 2, prior to installing McAfee Agent 4.5

See KB67118

https://mysupport.mcafee.com/eservice/Article.aspx?id=KB67118

Seems to work OK here.

Phil
        • 1. RE: Hot Fix HF517265 for Virusscan 8.7i has been released
          brentil
          Why is this not in the Support Portal or Grant Downloads area? So now I have to scour every tech article to make sure I'm not missing hot fixes that may be needed? :mad:

Seriously McAfee you need to rethink how you do patch management to your customers. I complain about this fairly often only because I hope one day you'll actually listen. Using ePO is awesome, it saves me tons of time, but I need that free time to now hunt for patches every day. Some basic things would be really nice too. Keeping the patches in ONE area, not fragmenting them across the downloads area, support portal, and tech docs. Redoing your grant downloads website to give us a link to go back to the downloads list. I love how I click the breadcrumbs to go back and it logs me out every time... Some sort of automated alerts to new patches for products. I'd be ecstatic to have an RSS feed on the mysupport downloads area instead of having to load it up every day. Which half the time even though I click remember me it instead forgets me and I have to login again and again.
          • 2. RE: Hot Fix HF517265 for Virusscan 8.7i has been released
            PhilR
            Hear hear!!!

I've taken to browsing the KB every day (sorting by descending date order) to catch the new KB articles, which is how I found the hotfix.

McAfee should take a proactive role in these forums and notify people here, instead of us long-suffering customers doing their work for them.

This patch, once again, reminds us of McAfee's appalling track record on QA.

To be fair to them, they released it quickly, instead of sitting on it for months as a "managed release".

Phil
            • 3. RE: Hot Fix HF517265 for Virusscan 8.7i has been released
              brentil
              Please, anyone else who has an issue with the way McAfee handles these things chime in. It's the only way we're going to get them to provide us with efficient information instead of forcing us to stumble blindly hoping we're secure.

My guess is the release of W7 in 6 days might have something to do with that.
              • 4. RE: Hot Fix HF517265 for Virusscan 8.7i has been released
                Amen to what brentil said (in his first post)!

Jay
                • 5. RE: Hot Fix HF517265 for Virusscan 8.7i has been released
                  Hi guys,

I'm just wondering how to deploy this hot fix using EPO considering the recomended upgrade path.

To prevent this issue occurring, use an application upgrade path displayed below:

Apply the hotfix update to VSE 8.7i Patch 1 prior to installing Patch 2
                  Apply the hotfix update to VSE 8.7i Patch 2, prior to installing McAfee Agent 4.5

We currently have our machine with Agent 4.5 and Antivirus Enterprise 8.7i + Patch2.

Regards,

Jorge
                  • 6. RE: Hot Fix HF517265 for Virusscan 8.7i has been released
                    brentil
                    You can do it in the order you have, the only issue is some of your users may have the issues listed in the HF until it is applied. If you follow the upgrade path they have listed then you avoid the possibility of your users having the listed issues.

If you're running 4.5 + P2 already then you 'may' have users having these issues. Applying the patch will resolve the issues for them or prevent them.
                    • 7. RE: Hot Fix HF517265 for Virusscan 8.7i has been released
                      Thank you for the quick reply.

The reason why i asked about the upgrade paths is that i have installed this hotfix on about 10 clients and the AV 8.7 icon is still missing. Machines where rebooted after the instalation of the Hot Fix.
                      • 8. RE: Hot Fix HF517265 for Virusscan 8.7i has been released
                        JeffGerard

See KB67174: "VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i system tray icon disappears if McAfee Agent 4.5.0 and VSE 8.7i Patch 2 with HF517265 are installed"
                        • 9. Agreed on the search for updates expidition
                          Same for licensing info - get it together McAfee. ePO is just a part of the security infrastructure I'm trying to maintain, I don't have time to go on safari every time an update comes out.
                          1 2 Previous Next